01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

La Lagune 2000 vs 2010

Went to Boisdale in Canary Wharf tonight & could not help but notice the 2000 La Lagune on the wine list. Having tried the other day the 2010 version from TWS, could not resist the temptation & asked them to cork it for us.

The initial impression was that the 2000 was a pale shadow of the 2010: thin, characterless, lifeless & far too smooth for what I was hoping to experience.

This made me worry: perhaps my taste is simply not refined enough? I can’t see the ephemeral higher order beauty for my eyes had never seen but the simplest forms of ordinary life? I don’t have enough taste buds? How many do I have? How many more taste buds would I have left now if it was not for the countless bottles of cote de bordeaux et al that I consumed over the years? Why were my formative years largely spent on drinking rose, of all things? Was there any hope for me?

However, as the evening progressed I could presently notice the demonic effect of La Lagune: the ‘lifeless’, ‘thin’ started to expand into ‘live & kicking’ & ‘large’ until I could clearly feel that the planet Earth did in fact contain inside another hidden planet ‘of a significantly larger size’.

That was the precise moment when one would expect the Angel of the Odd to walk in. But alas, to be paid a visit by the Chief Teufel it would need to be Lafit, otherwise you would be accused of ‘trying to insult an Angel & a Gentleman’ with existentially insignificant affairs.

But it proves my earlier findings that La Lagune has demons inside, now confirmed over two different vintages.

That’s not atypical for a restaurant wine drinking experience IME. Bordeaux likes time out of the bottle before it displays its best, quite often a surprisingly long time.

I had a 1998 Ch.Leoville-Barton recently which I gave an aggressive decent 4 hours before serving and that was only just enough, it continued to evolve over the 45 minutes it was being drunk. A 2000 Ségla was no different. Hence it can be difficult to get the best from Claret with a bottle opened at the table, I’ve resorted to using two glasses and sloshing it between them a few times.

La Lagune’s Petit Verdot can deceive you in this respect, giving a delicacy on the nose from the moment the cork’s out, but the main body of the wine is still asleep. Another that requires a good decant and to be served slightly cooler than many IMO to experience all of its qualities, I’d consider them angels rather than demons though.:innocent:

So what’s the answer? Seeking out BYO friendly restaurants and taking your pre-decanted wine is one method. Despite corkage charges of £20-30/btl you don’t have to go far up the wine list before it makes economic sense too.

Taste buds. Typically we have 2000-9000, each made up of 75-150 receptors, each is replaced every 10-14 days but as we age the total number declines as some fail to be replaced. Whether we kill them through the excesses of youth is uncertain… I really hope not as too much home made wiśniówka danced across mine.

Never knew BYOs ever existed. What a bright idea. Each time saves at least 200 taste buds, probably

What does this mean?

This is a reference to Edgar Alan Poe whose character in ‘The Angel of the Odd’ is a lafit abuser

Ah, now it all makes sense.

Thanks for clearing it up.

Ps *Allan :wink:

2 fantastic vintages of one of my favourite Bordeaux wines, lucky enough to have one 1996 and 2 2001’s left in my collection. Agree that any red that isn’t of extreme old age, at least at this sort of quality level needs time to decant for maximum pleasure!

Yes, quite. But he was not even Allan to begin with, I think he adopted at some point the name (or surname) of his evil step father hoping to win his approval, but alas.

Great fact! Should have got him a Wine society membership though.

I have occasionally asked a restaurant to open or decant a wine a few hours before I arrive. Obviously this only works if you plan ahead and know the restaurant and its wine list. The strategy has worked well when I have hosted a special meal in a restaurant rather than at home.

Some years ago, a new landlord took over a pub/ restaurant in the village where I lived and had rooted around in the cellar finding some ‘old’ wine which he was going to list at bargain prices. The look on his face when I pre-ordered a first growth claret at £3.50 for dinner that evening obviously alerted him to the fact that they were worth more than he had realised. When we arrived for dinner, the devious b****r had delisted the bargains! I was never very good at maintaining a poker face to hide my thinking!

I am thinking: a corrupt waiter could doubly benefit from BYO: not only do they get £30 corking ‘fee’ at no phydical resource expenditure, but they can also potentially bill the venue for some ‘£75 Chateau Lary 2017’ as if it did get sold…

This talk of BYO restaurants has led me to start a new thread. Hopefully everyone can share a few favourites.