01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Kooyong Wines

At least the online event was free… :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Question for any members with experience of Kooyong wines: how have you found drinking windows?

I have a mixed case in reserves which has 4 of the 2018 single vineyard wines (+2 2019s, Clonale and Massale). Contemplating taking them out and drinking at some point in the next 6 months, but wondering if I would be doing the wines a disservice by doing so. Are there any significant gains to be had by waiting another year? Obviously the wines will develop over the longer term, but I don’t intend on waiting 3+ years for them to develop a more aged character - I’m more wondering if, at this point, they’re likely to still have not quite come together fully yet even as a youngish wine.

I only have experience with the chardonnay, I’d say the Clonale is pretty accessible from the get go, but the single vineyard (Farrago, Faultline etc) definitely benefit from a bit more time in bottle. I like them at about 4-5 years.

3 Likes

In my limited experience @mpreston91 comments apply to their pinot noir too. The Massale is a lovely bottle to enjoy young ( but will happily age for 5+ years ). There’s much to enjoy in the vineyard wines too when they’re young but their subtle differences become more obviously apparent after 5+ years or so.

2 Likes

Thanks both for your useful comments, now I will commence the internal battle of how patient am I (/how able am I to distract myself with other things)!

3 Likes

In regards to drinking windows on the Kooyongs -
I rate WineFront in Australia’s views pretty highly and this is what they have indicated…

Kooyong Massale Pinot Noir 2019 - 91/100, drink 2020-24
Kooyong Clonale Chardonnay 2019 - 92/100, drink 2020-24
Kooyong Faultline Chardonnay 2018 - 93/100, drink 2022-29+
Kooyong Meres Vineyard Pinot Noir 2018 - 93/100, drink 2021-26+
Kooyong Haven Vineyard Pinot Noir 2018 - 89/100, drink 2020-25
Kooyong Farrago Chardonnay 2018 - 93/100, drink 2020-26

These guys are not 100pt givers like some critics

The reason the Haven PN got marked down was due to being “a little too light and tangy, certainly fresh, well structured – but you can see the bones too clearly.”

6 Likes