01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

January 2021 Fine Wine List

As an aside I thought the email digital brochure slide show thingy is really good. Works for me.

1 Like

Not so convinced myself, although it is good that the individual entries are clickable. I applaud the effort to do something new but a portrait magazine on a landscape laptop screen doesn’t work too well. Maybe it’s better on an ipad. Even better still would be if they could make it responsive to screen size/dimensions.

At present, it feels more like a legacy product (physical magazine) converted into digital format. It would be better if it was designed for digital from scratch.

2 Likes

Staggered to see TWS listing a Cotes de Bourg at £52 a bottle. Twice as much as the superior Ch. d’Aiguilhe and a barmy three times the price of Ch. La Dauphine!

What I’d really like to say would get me black-balled again I’m sure. As they say over there
'encroyable mais vrai"

2 Likes

Very nearly went for Roc de Cambres in the 2019 EP but decided I’d rather buy 18 bottles of other things for less than 6 of these :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Its no more than most other places for the Roc de Cambres. Must say its not were my money is going to go, but its the cachet of being a Mitjavile wine I guess. I’ll leave it to right bank Claret enthusiasts to say whether its hype or justifiable expense.

2 Likes

Bourg and Blaye are very nice wines but I am sorry IMHO they come nowhere near Castillon. You could buy a very good Pomerol much cheaper than that (in fact almost two bottles of Taillefer) also on the list.

1 Like

I’d be interested to know what people who’ve actually had RdC think of it. And yes, if the hype is justified (whether the expense is is another matter and will vary of course!)

1 Like

Case in point from the current list

I’ve not had the 2015, but the vintages I’ve had of this have been exactly what it says on the tin.

4 Likes

What did you get black-balled for last time?

It is a pretty amazing price for a Cotes de Bourg. I’ve had a couple of older vintages and thought it was excellent. However, it was MUCH cheaper (sorry, was through work, can’t be sure, but I’d say almost half that price).

1 Like

Exactly what @Brocklehurstj says. I’ve had the 2004 RdC in the last year, and it was pretty good but I didn’t pay anything out of the ordinary for it. It must be said that the pricing is somewhat ‘ambitious’.

2 Likes

I’ve the 05,06,11 and 12 in the last couple of years, all pretty good, the 2011 stunningly so from a generally poor vintage. It’s a considerably richer style of wine than many of the minor Bordeaux appellations, you could even call it exotic. My most recent purchase was the 2012 for £150/6 ib from J&B. I think the pricing has got overly ambitious but to dismiss based on it’s appellation would be short sighted, worth a try as it’s so different.

3 Likes

Interesting, thanks. Sounds like a wine I’d enjoy but I’m too late to the party :laughing:

1 Like

Is that Taillefer new? I would swear I didn’t see it when I was recently looking for 2015 and 2016 claret to top up my reserves. Shame it is not available in sixes, can’t think (at the moment) what else I would put with it for the long haul.

1 Like

For those who were disappointed to miss the original mixed case the two Pinots in are now available to buy.
I’ve done my own mixed Pinot case.
6 Likes

They look great, but you can understand why they didn’t want to include those bottles in the mixed case.

1 Like

Yes it’s totally understandable, although I had no idea the Pinots included were of this value. Only wishing to have a red case. It still seems a complete mystery how the error could be made.
I’m just looking forward to my wine.

1 Like

I suspect it was down to data entry. I’d image they only enter the wine code when setting them up online and those two PN have only a single digit each different to two of the whites.

3 Likes