01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

January 2021 Fine Wine List

I accidentally came across this. While the wines aren’t there yet, the header descriptions are.

I have a feeling the South African and Peter Wetzer offers will be taking my pocket money.

11 Likes

Seems the pdf (whether proof or final) is there

3 Likes

You just beat me to it. But I’ve now spotted one typo already (mismatch between 1971 or 1961)

2 Likes

I think actual credit goes to @szaki1974, but he presumably didn’t want the inbox full of messages for starting the thread!

4 Likes

Thanks guys, this is so much more interesting and enjoyable than Bre… and that’s before even knowing what the wines are :blush:

6 Likes

Thanks ! I almost checked out my virtual basket earlier today which I may now have to amend. Time for a tentative check as I’m sure it will test my resolution to stop buying £20+ wines. Takes a deep breath, here goes…

1 Like

I’m already starting to understand why people told me this community would be bad for my bank balance! Will be hard pushed to decide between some of the cases on offer - very fun looking stuff in there.

5 Likes

Yeah, I was going to move that stuff to a new thread, but I don’t have to now.

The list is uncharacteristically strong (from my perspective) for a January FWL… unfortunately.

The pdf…

3 Likes

I have to admit to being mightily relieved - nothing really to tempt me to part with my cash on that list.

Particularly disappointed to see nothing really new or ambitious from South Africa or Oregon (compare L&W’s South African range for example). And if Sarah explicitly mentions the brilliant Evening Land wines, why can’t they be listed? THOSE are the wines causing the buzz and comparisons with terroir driven Burgundy…

Will probably try some of the Wetzer wines out of curiosity but I’ll keep my powder dry for Fontodi and Burgundy EP.

5 Likes

Yes I reckon this is pretty strong - hard to walk past the SA or Hungary/Austria offerings

2 Likes

“The elephant in the room, Leithaberg is just across the border in Austria, and
arguably where the finest blaufränkisch is found.” - How to dismiss Hungarian wine in one sentence in a Hungarian producer showcase… :rofl:

7 Likes

Yes I saw that. I wondered if it might provoke a reaction.

Yes I did edit my original post - not that I’m eyeing up the Leithaberg or anything…

Hopefully we’ll see more exciting SA wines appearing on the main list, this is a rather small selection. Also, no further Greek wines? I thought that was the plan?

2 Likes

This will not keep me from buying several one of the mixed cases though. Also I have no problem with Austrian wine at all, on the contrary.

3 Likes

It strikes me that everything but sparkling wine seems to come by the dozen (obviously this is not the published pdf…). I am wondering if it is by choice to drive member behaviour… Definitely drives this member towards mixed cases (pre and member).

2 Likes

I doubt they’ve actually put that much thought into it. It’s probably more that they get them in 12s and thus try and sell them on in 12s.

Yeah… I have had a bit of time on my hand to overthink something.

3 Likes

I’m missing the Greece wines too, appears they all ended up on the cutting room floor last year, so it’s a roll over for me until the EP offers later in the month.

1 Like

In Numerology 12 is a number associated with creativity and self-expression, so you may also be right. We can never ~really~ know, maaaan.

6 Likes