01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Jancis Robinson’s wines for the festive season

But films (and most other consumer/cultural products) do get criticised, sometimes quite severely. Wine never does.

It is definitely about finding a critic that you tend to agree with. As you say, everything is subjective but if you have in the past agreed with a critic that an excellent film is, indeed, excellent then the next time they say a film is excellent you will probably try harder to see it.

Ditto with wine. If you tend to agree with the opinions of a wine critic then this adds added impetus if and when they say - this bottle is an absolutely stonker. Whether it is marks out of 10 or stars, a scoring scale is just a quick way of indicating if you liked something. But if you choose to use a scoring scale it just makes sense to use the whole of the scale.

I think that is my point. A professional reviewer should be able to criticise what they are reviewing, even if it has been supplied for free.

Likewise, a professional wine critic should be able to say if they did not enjoy a bottle of wine even if it was supplied for free.

Sure, for me and you going round a friend’s for dinner we will try and enjoy what we are being served. But equally, we’re not running a paid for review website where people expect us to provide honest views.

To put it another way, when my friend asks me if I like the wine they just gave me I will probably say I did but if I was reviewing the wine for a professional website I’d have to be honest even if I had not enjoyed the wine at all.

Ah. The chenin. It was ok and I would have happily enjoyed it with roast chicken. BUT chenin can be so much more than that, i felt it was rather middle of the road. Just my thoughts, and bear in mind it was halfway though a tasting of 30+ whites. This is why it turned out to be such a difficult job. I have no idea how the buyers do it.

3 Likes