I've never had a

We’ve all got our favourites, but are there any significant wine regions of the world you’ve simply never tried for whatever reason?

When you take into account random bottles from around the world drunk over the years (including probably some poor examples in all honesty!) the most glaring one for me is Muscadet.

I know Muscadet is more an appellation rather than a major region in its own right, but it feels like a gap when you take my Franco-centric wine tastes into account. So to put it right I’ve ordered a small selection to try some different styles. It feels like one of the regions TWS excels in by offering interesting options not widely available elsewhere.

Will report back when temperatures begin to climb :sun_with_face:

7 Likes

I seriously suggest the Château-Thébaud, Les Bêtes Curieuses 2017. Haven’t actually tried this one yet but they are a top notch producer… a challenge to many 1 cru Chablis costing much more. Muscadet has come a long way in the last 20 years, no longer the battery acid of yore ! (although still widely available for aficionados of that style)

2 Likes

I’ve never had a Japanese Wine, and would love to try some, if someone else is paying! There was a Jefford article somewhere…

4 Likes

Brilliant - that’s one of the ones I’ve ordered😊 I know some of the Crus Communaux age really well: will the 2017 be ready or will it be better with another year or two in bottle?

Nebbiolo. OK, someone will be along shortly to shoot me for such heresy. But I can’t recall ever having one. I’ve got a few in the cellar to try, so it is only a matter of time.

In my defence, I’ve never lived somewhere where this grape variety is common in bars and restaurants, and it isn’t exactly the kind of thing you see regularly at take-a-punt prices.

2 Likes

I’ve never had anything from Napa.

2 Likes

China, India, Brazil, Japan.

Nothing I’ve read has persuaded me so far that this is an aching void in my life…

3 Likes

I will add Turkey, Moldova to the list.

I had a taster of a Japanese white wine retailing around £12-15. Can’t remember which. Distinctive, good, but not great. Gave me the impression it will get vastly more interesting in 10-20 years.

Ordering a few seems the right solution to ‘I’ve never had a…’. I don’t understand some of the other contributors. By all means, ask for recommendations for regions/grapes you haven’t tried (the WS Moldova white is fine for a cheap one; the Turkish red isn’t), but try everything once (usual exceptions like Morris dancing apply).

1 Like

I’m far from an expert, but personally I’d open it. They seem to release wines when ready. If it’s any good you can order some more sharpish … the previous releases have sold out quickly (snooze-you-lose)

1 Like

I’ve had a Brazilian wine somewhere I think, although I cannot remember a thing about it.

I’ve had an excellent Chinese wine shared by a member of the community that would make you think long and hard in a blind tasting.

I’ve had an absolutely vile Vietnamese wine that came with the room in a boutique hotel in Hanoi.

Too many factors in all these countries!

As a specialty coffee geek I get a bit more excited about unusual high scoring coffee’s, I currently have a Chinese washed from Yunnan roasted by Lucid that’s really interesting.

1 Like

Had a Moldovan Pinot Noir around 20 years ago, from an indy in Hull. I think Moldovia was still Soviet then? the bottle was a pale blue-ish recycled glass with bubbles in it, milk bottle shaped & very primitive. The wine was fantastic! one of those wines you wish was still available (maybe it still is, but in a modern guise?)

China: I brought a couple of bottles of ‘Great Wall’ back from Beijing, was corked beyond all recognition !

Brazil: Pinot Noir, very good indeed, similar to New Zealand style… which wasn’t what i expected, I understand they also do some very good Chard. Presumably gets hoovered up by the locals / USA ?

The Soviet Union ceased to exit over a decade before then. But Russia still effectively occupies part of the east of the country, bless 'em.

A few years ago TWS sold a Modovan Pinot Noir that IMO offerred great VFM, and it was in a rather savoury style that especially appealed to me.

The trouble is that if the UK does not import much from any region it is practically impossible to get a proper feel for its wines. Imagine picking a random bottle of Claret off a shop shelf, and how much that would tell you about Bordeaux.

While I have tried odd bottles from many different regions and countries, I think it is a lot more rewarding to explore fewer regions, and in greater depth. But that doesn’t mean you have to stick to the same regions for most of your life - it is good to explore off the beaten track IMO, and get to know a new region properly.

1 Like

Oops - must have been between 1991 & 95 ! where does the time go?

Whilst Brazil is the third largest South America producer (yes, more than Uruguay) and @2020 was 18th largest in the world, most of this production is the sweet wines from hybrids which are for the domestic market.

The main quality wine region - Serra Gaucha - is actually a relatively small region, the climate and topography resemble Tuscany, and is on the same latitude as, for example, Margaret River. Many of the original pioneering winemakers in this region came from Italy, and Italian varieties feature as prominently as the usual French suspects. We remember seeing lots of Marselan as well. .

We were told there that the biggest export markets for this wine were Portugal, Sweden and, yes, the US; but domestic demand was increasing as Brazilian consumers switched tastes to dry vinifera wines.

I think it was called Osteros or something like that. Cheap and reasonably cheerful

Just take a standard Cabernet or Chardonnay. Stir it up with a plank of oak. Burn a £50 note. Et voila! The full Napa experience!

7 Likes

There’s a Hungarian PN called Ostoros, which has quite a few fans in this community. Is this the one you mean?

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/pinot-noir-ostoros-2020