01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

It's time to travel!

Obviously that would be irresponsible, but I was looking for ideas to bring a little of the magic home.

We’ve previously done Spanish night with Tapas or Paella with Rijoia (normally complemented by whatever else lidl has stocked for Spanish week).

So I was looking for ideas to travel Europe and world to brighten up the coming winter months. You might be thinking of schnitzel and zweigelt or beer and bratwurst.

So lets give a country/region/city, a main and drink pairing. Additional points for any further flourishes - maybe a dessert or film from the county.

8 Likes

I’ve been doing “tapas” a fair amount too, but I’ve (predictably!) started getting very nerdy about it and doing spanish regional specialties with their local wines. I’ve had an Andalucian night with sherry, basque with txakoli and rioja and some galician chicken with mencia.

I’m considering doing similar with regional France and Italy moving forward. I’d also like to give Georgian cuisine a go!

6 Likes

Neil
I shall be very dull and start with:
Region: Burgundy: Clos Vougeot, Hudelot Noellat, 2012. With perhaps a glass of Chablis from Denis Race with which to start.
Main course: Coq au Vin (Elizabeth David recipe). Green beans with chopped sweated shallot.
Cheese: Vacherin, glass of Loire Chenin blanc, 2012 Eric Morgat.
Film: Les Vacances de Mr Hulot.
Piece of music: Debussy, La Mer.
Glass of Armagnac to finish. (er…very small one)

11 Likes

Any French night should include Les Vacances de M. Hulot.

3 Likes

Surely if we’re doing food and drink, Le bonheur est dans le pré is the default position? :grinning:

I know where that ends…

Many years ago we used to go to Bristol for the World Wine Fair and the nearby hotel we were staying in featured a different country exhibiting at the fair each night with a food and wine menu

It was 9 months after the Austrian evening, with Wiener Schnitzel and Gruner Veltliner, that our first son was born…

16 Likes

Greek gyros and Xinamavro or the society’s Greek white?

5 Likes

Fish and Chips tasting next week that my wife and I are planning on doing with English Sparkling

4 Likes

Can I suggest: Bienvenue chez les Ch’tis (2008). ((welcome to the sticks)) and it’s VERY French humour - helps to have a native speaker on the settee with you. I guess “ Carbonnade a la Flamande”, with some northern French beer will go nicely.

6 Likes

Thank you, I’ll look out for that.

That sounds superb! Blows my ideas for a Loire evening out the water.

1 Like

One 6 month old is quite enough, as much as I do enjoy Gruner Veltliner.

4 Likes

Having never been to Greece, I think it’s the perfect opportunity to give it a try. I’ve never tried the Greek white either, so sounds like a great idea to combine the two.

2 Likes

Both are on my list! I’m still on an old fashioned DVD rental service as Netflix/Amazon are very limited for films.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I have ordered the Bienvenue film.

This is great. I have to say, though, we watched with French subtitles on, and the jokes all made sense. I’ve no idea how you’d translate some of the French puns into English.

2 Likes

The English subtitles, get around the problem by changing the words totally ! so not a proper translation, but you get the gist of it.

Pizza Quattro Staggione
Wine: Montepulciano d’Abruzo - if in the cheap seats; or perhaps a nice Chianti Classico Riserva from Riecine - had one from the TWS and adored it.
Music - Vivaldi’s Four Seasons would be the perfect and compulsory match
Film- any Sergio Leone spaghetti western

6 Likes

Makes sense - I can’t see any other way to do it. A bit like trying to translate the Two Ronnies “Fork Handles” sketch into French.

The obvious Alsatian meal would start with foie gras and then move on to choucroute. But given the difficulty of obtaining either in the UK (sauerkraut in jars is just not the same, and in any case getting the right meat is equally hard), I’ll go for something achievable here.

Starter: Tarte à l’oignon.
Wine: Pinot blanc, or sylvaner.

Main: Coq au riesling.
Wine: The best riesling you can.

Dessert: Either a Fôret Noire with lots of cherries, or a Torche aux marrons well flavoured with kirsch.
Wine: Pinot gris Vendanges Tardives, or Séléction de Grains Nobles.

Digestif: Selection of eaux-de-vie.

TV: The 2019 stage of the Tour De France that went through Alsace

9 Likes