01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Iskra - IGT Rosso Colli Aprutini Annata 2004

In our new lockdown lives, a friend suggested that we get together for a virtual dinner, so having sorted out the technical issues, we all joined each other on Saturday at 7 pm for pre-dinner drinks. The idea was great fun and with 3 dining rooms on-line we moved through each course of food and wine, chatted as we normally would and all highlighted our different cuisines on the night. The downside to a virtual dinner party is you cannot physically share your wine, which for me is always a key enjoyment of the evening.
Everyone had, of course, selected different wines to suit their dishes and as we had our grown-up children back home isolating with us, I thought it was a good opportunity to open a magnum.
A number of years ago I was fortunate to visit the Masciarelli winery in Abruzzo Italy. During my visit, I tasted many wines all of which were delicious, but the stand out for me was Iskra, the chosen magnum for tonight’s dinner.
Made from 100% Montepulciano, and from the 2004 vintage, the second year of production, the tannins had started to soften, but it still had years of ageing left. The ripe fruit had a plum fruit flavour, slightly herby and was very long on the finish. Perfect with our risotto and homemade rosemary bread.
Sadly I only purchased 3 magnums, and this was the last. If you have tasted Iskra I’d be interested in your thoughts, if not try to search out a bottle, its definitely worth the effort and not particularly expensive.
Interestingly Iskra is now not an IGT wine but has been elevated to DOCG Colline Teramane.

12 Likes

Sounds delicious and a great way to self isolate! I think enjoying special wines seems to be a theme of these times where we have lots of opportunity to inspect the shelves at home and see what we could be drinking :joy:

2 Likes

I love a good Montepulciano. One of those grapes that are impossible to fibd here beyond the entry level ones. Obviously the interest is in those that cost a bit more. But then that’s true of so many Italian grapes.

Agree about drinking the good stuff. For me the issue is mostly anout having to drink it on my own rather than sharing it. And to a lesser extent about not having the ingredients to cook what I’d like to have with it.

1 Like

So true, my cooking experiments are getting weirder and weirder - it’s a great pairing challenge! Haven’t yet come across a surprise perfect pair but I’m sure I will soon

1 Like