01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

International Rugby Union

Likewise but I don’t have enough experience of drinking windows. I appreciate TWS guidance but it always seems to say “now to…” rather than “hold on to that one”…

Who’d have thunk!!
Not me!!:open_mouth: :wink:

Me too! Can add the Raspail Ay, Moulin de la Gardette and Amadieu to that list!

I should have added Raspail-Ay and the Gardette.
Not familiar with Amadieu, not bought or tasted it.
I will keep an eye out for it!

It could well be, but thought I’d give it a try - will report back. One of the things I like about Gigondas is that I don’t tend to find that they go through particularly closed down phases as much as some wines do. One of the reasons I buy them EP is the opportunity to drink them right through their lifetime. I’ve had 2015’s recently that were excellent (albeit at the start of their window) all the way through to a bottle a few years ago that was made in 1968 and was still great after 47 years!

Good examples, made well, can easily rival their more exalted vinous cousins from around France.

And Cayron!!:relaxed:

Amadieu sits between the Sarrasine and Cayron in terms of price, and was available in the 2016 EP offer.

https://www.pierre-amadieu.com/mes-vins/8-domaine-grand-romane-oac-gigondas-red.html

RH49211 Gigondas Grand Romane vieilles vignes, Pierre Amadieu. £70/6

This, the largest estate in gigondas, has made a 2016 that is full of potential for the cellar. At oncegenerous and elegant (the secret is the high-altitude vineyards, high up in the Dentelles), this blendof grenache and mourvèdre is a triumph. 2020–2030.

Magnums available.

I missed out in the EP but subsequently sourced a case direct from the vineyard.

Wow, what a match at Twickenham. Would be easy to bemoan the TMO but sometimes it goes your way (last week), sometimes it doesn’t!

A bit of frustrating decision making but overall a very good performance

And now our turn and a hoodoo to overturn!

I brought back two of the Amadieu Gigondas last year when there, there have been big improvements in recent years, before they were very average but the quality has risen, still not top flight but big improvement, the Grand Romane is very drinkable.

Where’s the Bolly!!:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:!!!

Tomorrow

Wales v Tonga BBC1 / S4C
Scotland v South Africa BBC2
England v Japan Sky
Ireland v New Zealand CH4
France v Argentina Premier
Italy v Australia ??

I will watch the Wales game and we should win but I still remember Western Samoa!!:open_mouth: :cry:
South Africa may squeeze past Scotland.
A cricket score at HQ!!:wink:
Ireland may well get past the All Blacks, required viewing!!:yum:
France should beat Argentina.
Australia will bounce back big time against Italy and celebrate with a vat of Barolo!!:smiley:

What do you think?

Fair assessment “Taffy” but as a proud Scot, I have to disagree with S v SA, we will of course gub them :wink: I think the AB will just edge Ireland.

G

A veritable feast of rugby on offer this weekend! I’ll be watching England v Japan, but suspect the Scotland and Ireland games will be the ones to watch for close fought matches.

A bottle of this to accompany my viewing…

My predictions…

*Wales v Tonga - Comfortable Wales win despite a respectable Tongan performance

*Scotland v South Africa - SA just to edge this although could go either way. they do seem a good team at the moment but the Murrayfield effect means if Scotland do win it’ll be by no means a shock

*England v Japan - I’ll be there, cheering a much changed England lineup to a victory, but not by as many points as some seem to think

*Ireland v New Zealand - NZ to win, Ireland to play well. Should be close

*France v Argentina - France to win fairly comfortably and everyone to scratch their heads as to why they don’t play like that more consistently

*Italy v Australia - big win to Australia. Despite them looking pretty poor, Italy aren’t in a great place and will give them space to play

I’ll be watching from the top tier stands in Cardiff, £20 a seat, why not.

I very nearly stuck a fiver on that four home nations bet last weekend and barring a disallowed try between Eng and NZ I would have been celebrating. Thankfully I thought better of it and kept my fiver!

How about this weekend though? Odds for Wales, Scotland, England and Ireland all to win?

8.5 to 1 without handicap

13.5 to 1 on the handicaps

Wales 1/16 -17 points 10/11
England 1/200. -31 points 10/11
Scotland 6/4 +4 points Evens
Ireland 11/5 +6 points Evens

G

Sadly that line up shows what a farce much of RU has become, how can anyone take seriously England v Japan and go and pay for the privilege of watching it, And Wales v Tonga, they rarely ever won a game before, that is all of the South Sea islands and since all their best players are now citizens of NZ Aus and everywhere else what is the point, plus we have two pro clubs Italy almost certainly repeating their yearly propping up the table act, not anti RU anti what it has become, trying to be a world game when it isn’t.

Er, I can I have and I will! Granted it’s not a top tier clash but it’ll be a great day out and a chance to see our hosts for the next World Cup in action. Not forgetting that Japan beat former World Champions South Africa on their last visit to these shores

I’m looking forward to it :slight_smile:

Aside from that, it also gives people who can’t get hold of (or can’t afford) tickets to the bigger games a chance for a day at HQ