01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Instagram exclusive content - why?

I think the society has done a fantastic job of expanding its reach online, particularly through all of the excellent content that is freely available to members and non-members alike on Youtube; which can be viewed without needing to sign in/up.

What I don’t understand about the overall approach is why there is some great stuff that is being locked away on Instagram that can’t be viewed without signing-up and opting-in to everything that that entails.

I’ve just watched a really informative ‘Desert Island Wines’ interview/discussion between Pierre Mansour and Sebastian Payne, which I could only access because my partner had stayed logged on to her Instagram account on a shared device. Is there any reason why these interviews couldn’t be cross-posted to the Youtube page so they can reach a wider audience and be available to people without instagram accounts?

10 Likes

And is there a link to the YouTube page on the WS website? I went to the ‘Learn and Discover’ tab on the landing page but couldn’t see anything.

1 Like

Great question. Sounds like I’m missing out on a load of interesting content. Unfortunately I’m not on Instagram, and no plans anytime soon. Have been tempted by the odd item on Youtube though.

Ideally anything posted anywhere should also find its way to the TWS as the golden source of truth, but I imagine they already have a backlog longer than the Great Wall of China,
and which they’ll never reach the end of.

3 Likes

I don’t think an Instagram Live can be moved between different platforms but then again, the Bin series has been on both Instagram and YTube

“So let’s start building another wall”

2 Likes

It’s on the tastings and events page, about half way down.

(Takes you direct to YouTube)

2 Likes

Thanks.

Any business like TWS needs visibility which means being present on social media channels to ensure it engages “all” it’s customers.
What TWS can’t do, is dictate how that content when recorded on that channel is shared .
Instagram do not have a function to share to other platforms so until they do, clicking on the Instagram link will allow it to be viewed .

3 Likes

The issue I have is that clicking on the Instagram link doesn’t allow it to be viewed. Without an account if I try to visit the Society’s Instagram page I just get this:

I totally get that it makes good business sense for TWS to be active on Instagram, but it also makes sense for content to be cross-posted and not only available to people who choose to use a particular social media platform.

3 Likes

I get that it is frustrating …. Unfortunately Instagram as a platform doesn’t allow that cross sharing with other platforms so if it is a “live” on Insta, there’s no other way of sharing it unless someone records their actual phone screen and shares later to YouTube .

2 Likes

This isn’t the first time this issue has been raised here, and there has still been no satisfactory answer to why the Wine Society can’t repost anything it puts on private media, if necessary with small changes to make it new material.

I think Leah’s explanation just above your post is a very good explanation.

If Instagram is used it’s just not possible to repost due to the way the site operates.

If you want to do a live video there are very few platforms available without the society spending a fortune on technology and licenses. Instagram is probably one of the easiest/cheapest to do talks/interviews with 2 people as it just requires two people to have smart phones.

There is different content on different platforms, so take your pick…YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. I appreciate some people may not have the capability to use these services but the society can’t help that. Many companies use a range of social media for different messages to different audiences.

Why should the society repost everything to the service a member has when it’s easier for the member to sign up to the service? Plus where do people want it reposted to? It’s not easy to share, not easy to download and then add to the society website.

I appreciate lots have concerns about privacy and use of data, me too but you don’t have to use your own data. Make up a name, different date of birth and even create an email address simply for those social media services that you don’t want to have your data. It’s not perfect but it can limit what is collected.

I never post on Instagram but I have an account because there is some fantastic content that I like seeing; the society content is good, Tim Atkin’s regular interviews are great, Jamie Goode’s recent reviews have been excellent, Katie Jones’s rambles are superb plus so much more.

14 Likes

It’s interesting to understand some of the technical barriers around sharing content made using Instagram live - thanks @leah and @Winestwit for walking this social media refusenik through it! I had assumed that the functionality/usability wasn’t markedly different from the Zoom/YouTube approach used for a lot of the other content.

The most recent couple of Desert Island Wines with Sebastian Payne and Jane Macquitty have a different look and feel to the earlier ones (conducted in person in Stevenage, not obviously filmed on a mobile, better sound quality). If these have been recorded off-platform and then uploaded to Instagram then would the barriers to cross-posting be reduced?

1 Like

Absolutely, if they aren’t done as a ‘live’ on Instagram but instead are recorded and uploaded then they can be uploaded anywhere. But just because the quality is better doesn’t mean they aren’t done live and streamed to Instagram, if they are still being streamed then I don’t think it’s possible. I’m no Instagram expert, but it’s the streaming live that makes it hard to share cross platform.

1 Like

You have answered your own question. Why should we have to go through contortions with a new identity,new email address, etc., in order to see advertising material? If the Wine Society wants us to buy, it is up to it to make it easy, not difficult.

1 Like

There is a simple answer to this age-old advertising question: if it doesn’t appeal to you, you’re not the target.

6 Likes

A wee bit of perspective is needed here I think. We’re talking about wine reviews or interviews with producers, not information which organisations (like government or local authorities) have a public responsibility to ensure everyone sees.

I agree that it would be easier if everything just went on YouTube, but I’d rather TWS focused resources on finding and selling great wine than on expensive content creation and re-editing. I’m not on Insta myself but I know I could quickly and easily create an account if I really wanted to see this content.

2 Likes

No I haven’t

You don’t. For those that choose not to use those platforms because they are concerned about privacy then its an option to use to overcome those concerns.

It is easy to buy from the society. These posts have nothing to do with buying wine it’s about viewing content posted on Instagram.

The simple solution is use the platforms to view the content or don’t. Everyone is free to sign up to those platforms, if you choose not to then that’s your choice I don’t think there is a need to grumble/complain that the society chooses to use these platforms.

7 Likes

I think you might have the demand the wrong way round here. TWS are providing advertising material on a range of platforms - the complaint is not that TWS wants members to use Instagram, it’s that members want to see TWS Instagram content. That shifts the onus onto those members to sign up if they want to see stuff that cannot easily be posted elsewhere - in the same way that if you didn’t have an email address but wanted to hear about new releases faster than postal notifications it’s up to you to get an email address, not up to TWS to hand-deliver mail to you.

Of course, if there were insufficient members viewing the content and sales were poor, the onus would shift back to TWS marketing department to shift platforms. But recent complaints about wines selling out before people have the chance to buy rather suggests that this isn’t the case.

5 Likes

I think part of the difficulty is that for some (possibly older) members their interest in wine is considerably greater than their interest in how to use social media. Likewise their desire to learn about wine releases, new wine making techniques, etc is much stronger than their enthusiasm for adopting newer social media platforms.
Yes, everybody can, or nearly everybody anyway, but not everybody wants to! Then comes the question of how an organisation that is “owned by members for members” addresses this.

3 Likes