01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

In praise of... members services

I had a bottle that was, well, I don’t know.

I’m not sure if there was a fault or I was the fault, my tastes that is. It was an Italian red from the latest discovery case. On the nose it had more honey than Winnie the Pooh’s paws. I don’t like honey. Even my better half, who’d drink vinegar if the mood took, was dead set against it.

I completed the online form - choosing the didn’t like it option in case there was nothing wrong with it, and the credit has hit my account in less than the working day advised. Knowing there is that safety net from the very rare drain pour gives me even more confidence when buying wine from the Society.

By contrast I order 12 bottles. they deliver 10.
After phoning up they send the missing two and tonight I get a demand for payment.

On the odd occasion (much less frequent the last few years) we’ve opened bottles that are corked, always very impressed with the no quibbles and credit to my account. We were impressed by the WS response when we were severely disappointed with our 2008 Burgundy en primeur purchases. Any that were still in their drinking window were collected and the bottle prices credited to our account. Great service and gives you confidence to experiment.