01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

In praise of... drinking rosé in Britain

One of the things people often ask when they first meet me is how I could leave the Californian sun for Old Blighty. My answer usually includes something along the lines of appreciating good weather when it happens here, whereas a sunny day in California is nothing unique.

A case in point, I think I can remember every bottle of rosé I have enjoyed in the sun over the last 5 years. There have been exactly three. Memorable, each and every one of them, as a combination of people, place, weather and wine.

Countless bottles sunk in California and France have been lost in the recess of my mind, but the spur of the moment bottle opened over lockdown Easter weekend in the garden just because it was sunny and I had one to hand - this bottle will be spoken about with my partner for years.

Anyone else have memorable rosé moments?

11 Likes

Visiting Katy Jones’ winery on a stinking hot day a couple of years ago, tasting some of her very fine whites and reds and realising that the one I really wanted to down a bottle of right there and then was her very cheap and very delightful rose! Which I realise has nothing to do with consuming Rose in Britain except that we have now found an outlet relatively close by that sells many of her wines including the rose. Pretty soon we will be drinking one and harking back to that hot hot day in southern France.

6 Likes

I get the ‘ordinary’ nature of sun in the likes of California however I would swap England’s few sunny days for a couple of years of Californian sun!

I’m not a big rose drinker but the first holiday after my son was born was to a campsite in the Loire. They provide a bottle of rose as a welcome gift, I have such fond memories of sitting outside the mobile home after he had gone bed watching the sun set sipping the rose. We sought out the vineyard a couple of days later and found out it was a 5 Euro bottle…goes to show price doesn’t really mean much, memories with wine are more important.

12 Likes

My birthday a few years ago (maybe 4?..), sitting in the garden - so must have been a warm April - enjoying the company of my husband and some friends. We opened a couple bottles of Tavel to accompany pasta with roasted Mediterranean vegetables… I remember thinking (cliche alert!)- “life doesn’t get much better than this!”… Been a huge Tavel fan since :smile:

6 Likes

Sitting in a restaurant in Provence and noticing that every single table was drinking rosé.

Never seen that before or since. We don’t drink rosé but the son bought a magnum of Delheim rosé after tasting it at the winery and offered a pre-dinner glass. For some reason (maybe I was tied up making dinner) I didn’t have any, I would have liked to try it.

7 Likes

My 40th birthday last year. We had a big party in our garden. I served magnums of Whispering Angel, Miraval, Minuty and Domaine Triennes.

Hands down Triennes was the most preferred on the day.

Hugely unscientific but a shock to turn over the big brands nonetheless.

Who knew Aubert de Villaine and Jaques Seyess could make a decent wine?

5 Likes

Sitting on the terrace at Grand Mayne in Duras on a balmy summers day or here for that matter…!(upload://9sHrOIet2B0zgsBhZKP13kCsLzg.jpeg)

4 Likes

:rofl:… indeed

New vintage now available from L&W @ £7.5 IB

2 Likes

Yeah, I already stashed a few in case there was a rush on but more than 1000 bottles in stock at the moment. £15 IB for a magnum is a complete STEAL.

1 Like

I have had Triennes, yes I agree with comments above. It is a real winner, and great value for money.

1 Like

Tip much appreciated Akos and @matedw

3 Likes

I really could not agree more, I wanted to add some more to this but think you’ve summed it up just perfectly. It’s just a fantastic (and underestimated) food wine for warm days :shallow_pan_of_food: :wine_glass:

1 Like

Park. Rosé from a bag. Friends.

Job done.

(as recommended by Le Grappin, if you freeze a bagnum of their rosé and take it out in the morning it’s still nicely chilled by the time you get to afternoon drinking)

6 Likes

Nothing to do with rose, sorry, but I did once consider moving to Peru and exactly this was one of the major reasons I didn’t in the end. Over there in the dry season (winter) you get up every morning and it’s gorgeous sunshine, not a cloud insight, and it’ll stay that way all day. Then in the wet season (summer) you get up in the morning and it’s gorgeous sunshine, not a cloud insight, and at 3pm it rains… every day. (At least that’s the case around Huaraz where I was considering moving).

And I just got to thinking how much I love the changing seasons…

5 Likes

Changing seasons much overrated in my book. it’s the excuse given for eight months of winter, with greyness and cold the norm.

Lovely as it is on the rare occasions it is good (bit spoilt recently!), it ain’t worth all the months when it isn’t. The most unsunny climate in Europe and pretty damn uncivilised. There’s a reason why so many Brits emigrate :laughing:

Seasons are great in southern Europe :slight_smile:

5 Likes

But it’s not just about sunshine. I love watching nature coming back to life in the spring after the winter dormancy. I also love the winter, particularly if it’s really cold. To be honest I’m less keen on the summer and autumn. But it’s the change that’s, to me, important. It’s that transition through the seasons that gives infinite variation.

6 Likes

You mean become ex-pats? To say we emigrate is to imply we might be some sort of immigrant… :wink:

1 Like

No, I’m an immigrant. Always avoid expats! :grinning:

5 Likes

Growing up in the Middle East I spent my first 21 years hankering after cold climes… Northern Europe and Scandinavia were my dream destinations, and I settled on England, being an Anglophile. Could have equally been Konstanz or Gothenburg, if I chose different paths…

Now that I’m older, my bones hanker after warmth and consistent sunshine in summer, so I’m finding summers in England more and more depressing. Like Mike, I love winter, but as I expect it to be cold I enjoy its barren and often wild beauty; but cold wet summers have no redeeming features. Perhaps chapter three of my life will be spent in Continental Europe…

9 Likes

I can’t help feeling that people’s thinking is struggling to keep up with climate change. As far as I can recall it has rained once in the last month, and I have to limit my time in the garden to avoid getting sun burnt. I know this isn’t entirely typical but it definitely seems to me the weather has improved over recent years. I’m struggling to remember it being seriously cold any time in the last few winters. True, there certainly have been some sustained wet spells and we need them!

I am fairly sure I will move in the next few years; the question is whether to go north or south?

6 Likes