01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

If you like Mourvedre

If you like wines showcasing mourvedre (mataro, monastrell etc.) than look what has just landed in my email box from TWS…

I have had Tempier wines before and they always delivered. I am seriously tempted.

I think I have an older vintage of the wonderful Bandol wines hidden (on purpose) in my cellar - reminds me to go and check … it was hidden to give it time to age as they really benefit from extra bottle age (I believe).

Must invent choose a special occasion to justify opening it soon

I also salivated over this offer. It’s a very very tempting offer if you like Mourvèdre. And good value to boot. I would counsel, however, before buying a whole bunch of wines from the same vintage, to look more closely at the vintage and its expected quality and longevity. There’s a good page (American) on Provence vintages here: https://www.winescholarguild.org/resources/vintage-charts/provence-vintage-charts-ratings - it has better-than-average vintage descriptions and vintage rating system than many. You’ll see that the 2014 vintage is imperfect in some ways, so let’s be cautious.

I am not of course trying to dissuade members from taking up Society offers! Nor am I questioning Marcel’s good judgement. I am merely encouraging good practice when making buying decisions.

Good advice in general

Most of us really buy wines to drink about ‘now’ in any case, but if you are buying for a more distant future cork-pulling ceremony then a whole range of issues apply… longevity of the wine, the vintage, the storage, the style you want, etc…

In the end, though, bottles are individual, like people, and time just makes that more obvious.

1971 wasn’t a very auspicious ‘vintage’ either, but I feel I turned out OK, so let’s not look down on generation 2014 :slight_smile:

… and another one from the 2011 vintage (the website referenced by @ricard above says “Bandol particularly successful & structured; best will need cellaring.”) …

Hi Robert
The wine that first turned my head was the 1971 Latour Martillac. Consumed with girlfriends various over maybe 3-4 years, it just got better and better. It was priced about 3rd from the top of the list, so no one bought it that I managed to consume the best part of 3 cases before it ran out. That night I asked the waiter for a similar bottle and he brought a much heavier bottle where the glass was embossed just below the neck. It tasted great but nothing like my recently departed Graves, it did however cause me to buy a book on wine by Hugh Johnson. The "French "waiter turned out to be a Brummie and knew very little about fermented grape juice, however I am eternally indebted to that gem of a restaurant for the first faltering steps on a marvellous journey into wine. Note that I could hardly believe my good fortune when I spotted the Latour Martillac on the 2015 en primeur opening offer, needless to say that I filled my boots with the red and the white. Subsequently found the 2010 on a merchants list; I can happily report that it it is drinking like a train and would encourage the Society to stock it.

I have done a little research on the Mourvedre content of wines (CndP and around) offered in the Rhone 2016 EP Offer and found the following wines of interest for those of us partial to this variety (25%+):

CndP Reserve Clos du Caillou - the most expensive wine on the list (in the category), probably the highest Mourvedre content…
CndP Clos des Papes
CndP Chateau de Beaucastel
CdR Reserve Clos de Caillou
CdR Rouge Coudoulet de Beaucastel
CdR Villages Terres d’Argile Domaine de Janasse

That actually bumped the CdR Reserve Clos de Caillou and CdR Coudoulet de Beaucastel up my list… Also to note that the bestest CndP in any vintage has 60%+ of Mourvedre, just saying…sadly not offered by TWS

A post on the You know you are obsessed with wine when… thread is soon to follow.

I found the Tempier wines at the Midi Icons tasting in December a bit of a revelation. I think I’ll have to have a bit of a nibble at them.

It’s Mataro, Tim, but not as you know it … :wink:

Thanks for this - very useful and tipping me towards the Coudolet…thereby upsetting my carefully crafted decision as to what to buy :slight_smile: !

Apologies to revive this…

I noticed this wine currently listed with 70% Mourvedre content… I was already eyeing it in the 2016 EP offer, but somehow decided against it… Has anyone tried? I am leaning towards taking a case.

In my early search for my ‘perfect’ red wine, I drank a lot of single varietal wines. Perhaps my least favourite was Mouvedre. When I realised I was an assemblage fan, it wasn’t long before I came to the conclusion that Mouvedre was an integral part in my 'most favoured mix.
Southern Rhone and Languedoc reds can be made from multiple red varietals.
I was talking to a Languedoc winemaker at an event in London and he likened Mouvedre to a seasoning bringing out the best in the company more ‘well known’ varieties '.
He even went as far naming Mouvedrs as a catalyst in reaching the optimum blend of red grapes. I don’t know about that, but when inspecting the list of ‘ingredients’ of a SR or LR wine , I am always encouraged if I see Mouvedre, Carignan and Cinsault.

I haven’t tried this but thanks for the nod, it will go on my next order.

Aha! Mourvedre - one of my favourites! I missed the original exchanges.

Whilst the Rhone is certainly one of the areas to go for these things, don’t overlook the South of France. Not just in terms of Bandol, where it is king, but also Languedoc and Roussillon. There are some genuinely excellent mourvedre-leaning blends, and the occasional 100% specimen. If I were to try to describe how they are different from their rhone cousins, I would say that they were a little more fragrant, and the tannins tend towards being less grainy when young.

I take @szaki1974’s point about it shining as a blending grape though. The 100% specimens can be hard work. But those who have mastered the grape can often make it work at around the 80% level. On its own, it can tend towards a mid-palate gap, and unbalanced structure, mostly due to those tannins. It’s often blended with Cinsault which obligingly overcomes those problems.

These comments only apply to France. Show it even more sun and totally different things happen to it, so Mataros from Oz or Monastrell from e.g. Jumilla are a different kettle of fish entirely. As are rosés made from this grape.

(Edited to add - I think it was @onlyawino who made the point about the blending - apologies to you both!)

I ordered a case of the 2016 - it just looked too tempting. I noticed that 2015 on the list and I’d like to squeeze a bottle or six into the next order. But Cellartracker notes on any vintage of it seem to be rather sparse…

I have had previous vintages, which have been excellent, provided you allow significant bottle age. I’d recommend it, but would guess you’d need to wait til 2025 at least to get the most out of it. On occasion, I’ve had a young bottle of it, and it’s quite tannic, dark and bitter, but it does turn into something delicious (and good value) with time. I will probably get some myself.

Thanks, I was also not planning on touching it before 2023.

The reappearance of this thread made me panic/excited that there were new Tempier bottles available.

This is very good and very Mourvèdre driven, but with some ripe Grenache to fill out the middle. It’s also rare as hens teeth.

It’s also on the list I have just received from TWS:

Of wines “in quantities too small to list elsewhere” that they need to shift to make space (but no discounts other than some Champagnes). So about to become rare on TWS as well!