01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Hunter Valley Help

Planning to spend a week in the Hunter Valley during late January 2018 and suggestions for vineyards not to be missed plus accommodation would be gratefully received.Thanks

I don’t actually know who might have visited in person, but I bet that @ewan and @wineboar might know the producers from the area and be able to give pointers.

While it was a couple of years since I was there I can certainly recommend First Creek (amazing semillions!) and Piggs Peake for their big red blends.

Have an amazing time!

Tyrrell’s, McWilliam’s, Brokenwood (makers of our new The Society’s Hunter Valley Semillon),
Keith Tulloch … all would be worth getting to see.

I can second Tyrrells, and if it helps their contact details are on the vineyard visits PDF on The Soc’s website:

:grinning:

Let us know if you find any cool accommodation too?

I visited in February this year had a great couple of days. My favorite vineyard to visit was Capercaillie. The wines were excellent and staff very friendly.

http://www.capercailliewines.com.au/

We stayed at the Thistle Inn Guest House - Donna who runs the place was a great host and the accomidation was lovely.

Enjoy

I was judging at the IWC yesterday, and on my panel was Atsuko Radcliffe, winemaker from the Hunter Valley. I mentioned this post, and she would love to receive a visit - I don’t know her wines at all, but she was charming. If you need more visits, contact via http://smallforest.com.au/ and let her know I sent you :slight_smile:

Thanks to everyone for your responses. Lots of vineyards for me to visit, just can’t wait to get there.

My wife and I stayed at stone cellar winery in a self catering cottage in their vineyard. They dropped us fresh groceries in a box every morning with things like eggs bacon etc. Also some of their wine. Great views, kangaroos bouncing around outside. They also organised a wine tour for us. It was fairly idyllic.

We enjoyed visits to Rothbury Estates and Pepper Tree winery in 2000. We were going to visit Tyrell’s but when we got there it was closed as Mr Tyrell has just died :frowning:

Thanks for the information and helpful tips… Can’t wait for my visit to Hunter Valley to start. Cheers Philip

Im guessing you are there now but in case anyone else uses this for future visits a few quick suggestions…

Tyrrell’s and Brokenwood would be my pick of the “big guys” so no surprise they dominate TWS lists. Especially good if you can get them to show some older vintage stock. Just ask politely and they will usually oblige.

Thomas wines and Mike de Illius are two smaller ones doing some brilliant stuff and if you get to meet Andrew Thomas or Mike de Illius you will learn all you need to know about the Hunter.

Scarborough, if you get sick of semillon and want to try some Chardonnay is worth a visit. Ian is known as Mr Chardonnay in the region and his kids Sally and Jerome are great hosts. Have recently opened a 2nd cellar door and do some great wine and cheese pairings. In a similar boat Lakes Folly when it is open is great for something other than Shiraz with their Cabernets.

Audrey Wilkinson is worth a visit for the views alone and finally head to McWilliams for their Pinot - Shiraz blends which don’t make it past the cellar door. Also grab a copy of the book The Wine Hunter, about Maurice O’Shea, it’s the best wine book I’ve read.

For food Muse is the fine dining restaurant of choice for most winemakers but plenty of other options and constantly evolving.

Hope you are having/have had a great trip and if anyone else needs more suggestions for the Hunter or other regions in Aus I’m happy to help.

Atsuko from Small Forest says “thanks for coming!” :blush:

When we got to Lakes Folly in 2000 there was a “stock all sold out” sign at the entrance :slightly_frowning_face: