01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Hungarian wines

Good to see a Hungarian wine get an article in the current edition of the 1874 Magazine.

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/marty-mcfly-furmint-balassa-tokaji-2021

Nice nod to Back to the Future, hope it is not a copyright breach.

I suspect based on the description and experience with Furmint that this wine will have longevity well beyond the TWS drink by date.

Not sure how the £1 off your first bottle of this wine noted in 1874 applies as I could not make it work… @TeresaGirao

5 Likes

Tim Aitkin’s WOTW this week as well. I’d be keen to try it.

4 Likes

yes, but how to get the price down to 10.95 like the magazine says

2 Likes

The price shows as £10.95 on the website? Or am i missing something?

2 Likes

I think it is me. Funnily my basket still said 11.95, had to remove it and re-add.

Maybe a website glitch…who’d have thought :grinning:

You probably saw it days before it was advertised and the discount activated.

But now it’s just the price, not a discount any more. Does that make it less appealing to buy? :wink:

Another Furmint wine of the week. It’s clearly the Next Big Thing

4 Likes

Dry Furmint was probably the first really “decent” wine I started buying regularly back in my early wine days; Waitrose used to stock a really nice one at a really pretty cheap price back in the mid-90s, and I remember being transfixed as soon as I opened the first bottle. The depth of taste, the balance and that mineral thing really hit my spot.

Many more followed that year, as this was a time when our family was in high emotion & hardcore sociability mode with my dad dying with a brain tumour. I’d come back from my work in Seoul to stay here a while to be with him & them, and me & my GF at the time had various family & partners etc over at ours almost all the time for dinner & drinking & downtime etc. We were renting a strange place right in the middle-of-nowhere, spacious but simple, big kitchen, and with just a woodburner for heat, perfect for late noisy emotional nights - an intense time of our family lives that was, with some added fun as my mum & my step-mum were not, shall we say, well-inclined towards each other :rofl:

That Furmint - I can’t remember the specific winery - was with us all the time, and I have very happy and nostalgic memories of this grape. I still love it now, enjoy it often, and have several cases in reserves biding their time. An incredible & consistent VFM wine to my tastes & thinking, I must say.

I’m actually popping into HQ in Stevenage shortly this arvo to see if they’ve got any of the Marty McFly ones on the shelves, so I’ll keep a lookout for this one too; though both probably unlikely to be on display I’d imagine. I foresee an order or three coming on :~}

8 Likes

I’ve been really impressed with some of the Juhfarks being produced. The Smoky flinty tones would cost a serious amount more if the wine was French! Regrettably I slightly avoided Furmint when in Budapest, thinking that it was something that was available at home.

2 Likes

Always…

3 Likes

Well - both the Marty McFly and the Nyulászó are on the shelves at Stevenage, though one fewer of both now I dropped by :~}

3 Likes