01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

How to ... Manage email notifications for mentions and replies

howto

Continuing the discussion from The Society's Community "How To" Guides:

One of the settings you will want to personalise is the format and regularity of emails you will receive from this site. To look at these, go to your preferences and click on the ‘Email’ tab - there are explanations further down this page.

Explanations:

Include Previous replies at the bottom of emails
When you receive an email from the site it can sometimes help to have some context of the conversation so you can decide whether you wish to return to the site to take part. This setting includes a comment or two preceding the relevant mention.

Include an excerpt of replied to post in emails
If you turn on this setting, your alerts include a limited selection of the post so you can read it in your email before clicking back to the community. If you turn it off, you will only receive an alert and a link. You may prefer this if you link back to the community every time you receive an alert anyway, to read the full text in context.

Send me an email when someone messages me
Do you want to know if another member of the community has sent you a private message? Turn it on to get an email alert and summary, unclick the box to only see messages when you are on the community pages.

Send me an email when someone quotes me, replies to my post, mentions my @username, or invites me to a topic
Do you want to know if another member of the community has either; replied to one of your threads message, mentioned your username, or invited you to a thread? Turn it on to get an email alert and summary, unclick the box to only see messages when you are on the community pages.

Send me email notifications even when I am active on the site
Normally this setting would be ‘unchecked’. If you are active on the site you have probably seen all your messages and notifications - so the site disables notifications it believes you are already aware of. However, you may wish to keep an email record of these, in which case you can turn on this setting and you will continue to receive emails even if you are active on the site.

When I don’t visit here, send me an email summary of popular topics and replies
This is quite useful and important. If you do not wish to visit the site regularly to see what is being discussed, then you can choose to receive a short summary of the most interesting and popular topics. You can either receive this as often as every 30 minutes (which is only useful if the site gets very busy), to Fortnightly.

We suggest that you leave this set to either Daily or Weekly to avoid getting too many emails, but also not miss out on potentially interesting conversations.

Include content from new users in summary emails
This is a standard site setting, and not really relevant to members of The Wine Society. It is designed to protect established members from unknown new users and potential spammers. Since only registered members of The Society can post content, you can have confidence in the quality of the content that will appear.

DON’T FORGET TO SAVE YOUR CHANGES AT THE END

How to ... Change your digest email frequency