01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

How to avoid your husband, wife, partner knowing you ordered more wine

I had another delivery today, accepted by my wife.

As in this post, my strategy is to tell her and ignore any protests. I am keen to learn others’ approaches to this important problem…

1 Like

Do you think this strategy would work if I order a new Range Rover ? … Asking for a friend :joy:.

18 Likes

So long as you take delivery whilst himself is offshore you might just get away with it! :rofl:

4 Likes

But what to say when he gets home? ‘Oh this? Yeah I just found it…’ I’m not sure that’s really going to work.

2 Likes

I know of someone who loved cycling, but whose wife wasn’t into cycling, and who had banned him from buying any more expensive bikes. His cunning plan was to replace one of his older bikes with a new one, but gradually, bit by bit, upgrading the wheels, saddle, etc, getting them delivered when his wife was out of the house. He then bought a new bike frame the exact same shade of red as the old one, thinking his wife wouldn’t notice, and moved the new wheels, saddle and other bits over to the new frame.

And then, as he wheeled it out of the shed for its first ride, internally congratulating himself on his cunning genius, his wife called out “enjoy your first ride on the new bike!”

18 Likes

As both me and my wife are working from home, I sit at a desk downstairs so I can see the delivery driver approaching… I rush out before he (or she!) rings the bell :angel: :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

Store it in reserves. As always when you withdraw it, you and yours view it as free.

7 Likes

While wine is not necessarily a good investment, money spent on wine, especially for later consumption, can legitimately be viewed as ‘saving’.

Can’t it?

7 Likes

Is this the equivalent of “asking for a friend”?

3 Likes

Pretty sure it works!
2 years ago when the mrs was abroad visiting family I quietly used that time to buy my Porsche and gave her car as part exchange
I got away with it so I believe your friend would too :joy:

7 Likes

Every time I got wine delivered I say it’s from reserves and it’s been paid for long ago.
Works 50% of the time specially if it’s from TWS or BBR

10 Likes

Combine this with a policy of having all new wines sent initially to reserves - so that the deliveries really are from reserves - and you have a potential winner.

Or, like me, you can stupidly tell your other half the truth on the basis that she’ll probably overlook it (while tutting, naturally…).

4 Likes

Made the mistake once of sharing what we have on the TWS reserves… Will not happen again anytime soon. “It’s actually not that many bottles if spread over the drinking window…”

“Oh we have a box of wine coming tomorrow…” Usually followed by an eyeroll from the better half :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

I tend to go with telling the truth too. It’s easier in the long run and she really enjoys the wine, so as long as it doesn’t get the the levels when my brain went splat, we’re all good (mostly). OWCs making great storage for various things she needs to store does help a bit though!

7 Likes

Same here (apart from the brain-going-splat bit). It is fortunate that generally we have the same taste in wine, degree of appreciation, and attitude to spending. My role is butler and nerd-in-chief

13 Likes

Clearly Steve’s and my household are very similar. As my wife is in possession of a ‘what to do with the wine in the event of my demise’ list there’s little point in being devious anyway.

3 Likes

Post withdrawn

5 Likes

I’m loving this thread! Picking up some good tips. One of my recent tricks is to share a case with a family member which you arrange to be delivered to them and collect your share on the next visit. For some reason, it’s more palatable to say you’re just sharing a case with someone.

2 Likes

As a regular participant on this forum, for the record I wish to make clear that save for this post (which is for clarity and no other reason, assertion or otherwise) i make no comment or admission.
Nothing of whatsoever nature should be read into impliedly nor expressly as to what I am saying.
Just for the avoidance of doubt I make no reference to any other person with whom I may be connected either by contract, oath, partnership, or any other legal or moral connection.

15 Likes

I love lawyers!

3 Likes