01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

How much alcohol do you drink

My only conclusion from this thread is the answer for me to the question is ‘Not Enough’ :wink:

5 Likes

Actually the study is good news for wine drinkers.

The post above suggests that wine is only a bit less harmful than beer and wine, but analyses stratified by type of alcohol consumed suggested major differences in mortality for wine consumption compared with beer and spirits, with wine causing hardly any adverse effects on mortality (as shown in the Article’s appendix, p 38).

5 Likes

Imagine many wine drinkers have a better diet than most beer or spirit drinkers?

2 Likes

Yes maybe. I don’t think the study controlled for socioeconomic status. Also binge drinking is, I suspect, more prevalent in beer and spirit drinkers.
Nevertheless the point remains that wine (perhaps in conjunction with a good diet, perhaps not) was associated with hardly any adverse effects on mortality.

2 Likes

If that is the case we can’t infer any significance to the relationship between unit type (wine vs beer vs spirits) and life expectancy.

1 Like

Can’t imagine that binge drinking on Rousseau is terribly prevalent…

5 Likes

Yes, but not for that reason alone. As I said the study was also unable to control for binge drinking, which is more prevalent in beer and spirit drinkers.

But the important point remains that for the readers of this blog (who are presumably wine drinkers) is that headlines such as this:

which the report generated, were actually very misleading.

1 Like

After Brexit and the effect it’ll have on my life, I’ll be looking to shorten it a bit :cry:

3 Likes

Shorten your life? I am 74 and I am not going to let the evil get me down to that extent. I shall put my trust in the Spirit and leave (little) England if necessary.

2 Likes

We’ll be (literally) right behind you…

1 Like

Not so easy, though. You’ll need plenty of money to live in the EU, at any rate - private health insurance is very expensive, and you’ll live to maintain a place here too as you’ll only be allowed to stay for 90 days over there.

Probably Latin America or Asia will be the only realistic options for those of us who are just moderately well off economically.

I can write a much more optimistic scenario, but this is not the place for it! :wink:

Much more optimistic vwith dual nationality! I’m curious… Message me if you like :slightly_smiling_face:

I was thinking of moving to Northern ireland. My wife has irish nationality. If we moved to Northern ireland I could take Irish nationality after 3 years. I would have the advantages of dual nationality ,

1 Like

Weathers not great :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

1 Like

Lucky you !

the forecast isn’t that great for the rest of the UK tbh !

1 Like

I’m meaning on a permanent basis :rofl:, it rains a lot there :sweat_smile:.

It rains a lot here in Keighley. Alot more than in Leeds where we lived before.

1 Like

The annual rain fall in Belfast Northern Ireland is 846 mm. IN Keighley its 840 mm . Not much difference.

1 Like