01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

How geology may influence wine

An interesting note on how geology might influence grapes, posted in another wine group I follow.

5 Likes

Thank you very much . An interesting article.
Lots of geology but in my view the geology is only of course indirectly influencing the taste (to a very limited extent) by modifying the dissolved chemical substances in the water that has flowed through/past it. The water in the grape has to come from the underground water so to that extent the dissolved chemicals (‘minerals’) might slightly influence the taste of the wine.
I find for example that watery vegetable (like celery) grown in irrigated farms can have a different (or unpleasant!) taint depending, presumably, on how contaminated the irrigation water was.
However, I believe that the ultimate taste of wine from similar-grapes-grown-in-similar-conditions depends much more on the yeast type and fermentation techniques, considering how many more chemical substances are synthesized by yeast during the fermentation process (…and during their self-autolysis).

1 Like

A very interesting study on geology and water flow affecting wine tastes but I too am inclined to think the harvesting of grapes (e.g., whether there are discards) and subsequent processing through fermentation, barrels or steel tanks, the abilities of the winemaker, blending, etc., will have more effect on the outcome than the geology.

Yes… however perhaps the winemaker’s abilities it is ‘in addition to’ geology?

Consider the Prem Cru sites in Burgundy: chosen for their geology, ditto Grand cru in Alsace & Champagne. These give the winemaker an advantage in terms of potential grape quality AND an automatic premium selling price which allows for more expensive production methods?

2 Likes