01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Hobby suggestions

We are working as best we can here at The Wine Society to ensure that everyone gets the quality of service (and the great wine) as they are accustomed to although the demand at the moment is unprecedented. However I think this weekend I might carry on with one of my scale model kits I am building with some music on in the background to unwind a bit.

4 Likes

Given the Rhone EP allocation appears to be happening RIGHT NOW! This seems well deserved.

1 Like

I’m learning the piano. In truth, I’ve been taking lessons for a few years. The lessons have come to an end because of Cv, which means I have more scope to practice. Sadly, I realise nobody is going to pay to listen to me!

I’m not taking exams because examiners will take one look at me, sharpen their pencils and mark me down to fail.

My teacher is fun. Whenever I strike up, he asks what I am counting. Of course, the answer is that I’m not!

Whatever you do, my advice is to avoid anything that is online.

2 Likes

I just had my first sax lesson by Skype and it worked out fine! Had to position myself so my teacher could see my hands, and a few flaky moments (due to an occasional lag) but all in all better than no contact at all. :smiley:

2 Likes

The touchstone for such things used to be the “tasting notes” for Barrettine Methylated Spirit. Sadly, it (and one assumes, its aficionados) was taken down after the owners noted - after five years - that they had mis-listed it under “Food and Drink”. Bastards.

3 Likes

I got my guitar out for the first time in a while today. I might see if I can master a Nick Drake song. If this drags on months then there’s an outside chance of it happening…

2 Likes

My apple and pear trees have arrived so tomorrow I will be constructing my ‘fruit hedge’ at the allotment. Posts already in, so shouldn’t be too big a job. Technically it’s a cordon - plant them at 45 degrees trained to the wires.

It will be two to three years before it really comes to fruition as it were…

6 Likes

What is the benefit of having them at 45 degrees? (genuinely interested)

1 Like

It allows the branches/shoots on one side to grow vertically and the other side horizontally, which means they 'link together more quickly. You can grow what’s known as a double cordon by planting vertically then training two branches one on each side at a shallow angle then allowing vertical shoots to come off it.

I was originally going to try espalier, but after a long and very helpful conversation from the supplier in Glasgow he strongly advised cordon for ease of training and pruning. As he plants orchards professionally I took his advice. They have a very good range of apple and pear trees, including many heritage varieties specially suited to our bracing climate up here. Even a few for @MikeFranklin!

7 Likes

Day 4 in Social Isolation house…

Cellar audit is on the “rain stops play” jobs list. This weekend was mainly garden and allotment…although the easterly wind did mean it was a lot colder than it looked.

1 Like

Got the fruit tree cordon done yesterday with help from my son. It was a lovely day here with wall to wall sunshine but east wind picked up too. Need to go back to finish the ties and tighten the wires a bit as they will always slacken a little.

2 Likes

I think we have a guitar in the house so might have a go at that - saying that I was planning to get myself a trumpet or something like that (I am grade 1 Tenor horn but that was many many years ago!).

Perhaps I will start with a triangle :smiley:

1 Like

Cellar audit completed :slight_smile:

720 bottles

• cases emptied into bins
  • bottles moved from ‘longterm’ to ‘drinking now’ bins
  • bit of a general clean and tidy

16 Likes

A lovely thing to do which I find very relaxing. Unfortunately I don’t have room for all my wine under one roof as yet.

You will have to update your profile, the cellar seems to have grown by 20%. Which is another lovely thing about an audit. The only down side is finding that you have drunk an entire case without noticing.

2 Likes

Nothing to do with wine or with hobbies, but the Thread’s title brought to mind Shel Silverstein’s poem ‘My Hobby’:

When you spit from the twenty-sixth floor,
And it floats on the breeze to the ground,
Does it fall upon hats
Or on white Persian cats
Or on heads, with a pitty-pat sound?
I used to think life was a bore,
But I don’t feel that way anymore,
As I count up the hits,
As I smile as I sit,
As I spit from the twenty-sixth floor.

:smile:

4 Likes

not all of mine is under the one roof either - some in bond elsewhere

:rofl: :rofl: yes - thats the side-effect of 4 trips to France last year ! didn’t have to many MIA bottles this time…have been getting better at recording them as they are drunk (and not whilst I am drunk!)

3 Likes

new hobby suggestion from my wife - put as much effort in tidying my office as I have the cellar !

I could be sometime…

1 Like

I’ve just finished my stocktake/audit.

Only one missing and two uncatalogued bottles (out of 180) and added in the just delivered Le Grappin '18 EP and my Barolo haul to the spreadsheet. Quite a pleasant afternoon.

1 Like

Lockdown has given me a chance to listen to my recordings of Wagner’s Ring Cycle…

5 Likes

I’ve got a new and time consuming hobby - spying on the fox cubs in our garden!

2 Likes