01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Hobby suggestions

Hi all,

Owing to the current situation in the UK I thought I would ask the community about what additional hobbies everyone has especially for those stuck at home. Might be the perfect opportunity to try something new, maybe learn an instrument or perhaps a new skill online.

Just wondering what a good hobby or new skill others might be starting to get stuck into :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not a hobby, but a number of orchestras (including Berlin Phil.), opera companies (including Met)… are making extensive material available on line without charge. More than enough to keep anyone occupied for a year or 2.

4 Likes

I know that my dad’s garden and greenhouse is starting to look amazing!

1 Like

long overdue cellar audit !

1 Like

I do kinda wish I had invested in a larger wine fridge, think I only have around 50 bottles at home (but only really space for 40!) with a fair number of EP cases in my reserves but no space to put them at home.

I think I might also need to do a bit of an audit as I have a section of basically misc wines I have acquired over the last couple of years - reminds me to get back onto cellertracker!

1 Like

My greenhouse is starting to have a lot of things in it.

I also need to re-stock my salmon and trout flies, so flytying kit will be out…

Cellar audit done not long ago, but it’s already out of date as some bought stuff not added in.

3 Likes

allotment about to get hit big time…did by a new multi-tool a couple of weeks ago thinking I might have some time on my hands !

greenhouse is at my mothers - so I will do the work whilst she is in the house and then she can water etc…although she’s quite insistent that with no underlying health issues she’s not too fussed about self-isolation…shes nearly 80 (or 21 if she’s asks what age I said!)

3 Likes

Top idea yet!

I am retired and my main hobby is dog walking. I usually walk with Gypsy for 90 mins a day and as i am very close to open countryside i can do that without having to meet anyone . I am continuing to do that
I also paint and draw from photographs. I take photos and manipulate them using lightroom. I have attached one of my paintings.

I also write short pieces . I did write a short story of about a young lady i met at 1 am asleep at a bus stop with half bottle WS Beaujolais .

10 Likes

Not a hobby per se, but I am using my professional skills (mostly digital stuff) to help several friends businesses that will be seriously affected by Covid-19.

This is taking the form of helping put together some online tastings for the wine school/bar where I did my WSET/WSG qualifications and working out how my weightlifting coach can teach “at home with no equipment” classes for olympic weightlifters.

1 Like

At the risk of being flippant. Now seems like the perfect time to finally teach myself how to make fresh pasta.

7 Likes

have you tried getting eggs and flour ?!

perhaps practice on some play doh first :rofl:

4 Likes

I do like a jigsaw!

10 Likes

Ah, that’s a fair point and one I hadn’t considered.

Play-doh, that gives me another idea to kill time, I could use it to make models for my first attempt at a stop animation film !

5 Likes

Have a read of these, folks…

7 Likes

Schools closed from next week, so taking on a new hobby sorted.

9 Likes

Yes, the hobby known as Trying Not To Throttle The Little Squirts.

7 Likes

He or she has far too much money! :rofl:

2 Likes

Man, they’re even better than the faux reviews for David Hasselhoff’s Greatest Hits on Amazon.

Thanks, you’ve just made my day !

3 Likes

the 1824 sherry…think I just laughed a bit too much !

2 Likes