01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Hi Fi chat

If you’re going to sell wine for a good reason - that’s a good reason! I currently have a LK 100 and a Kairn which I bought a few years ago, and the sound was a revelation. I have wonderful speakers which have never been driven right - now they are blossoming.

5 Likes

What speakers are they?

I had a similar set up to you, then upgraded to an LK 280 with passive Kabers and added a Karik and Numerik.
I then gave everything apart from the LP12 to my daughter’s husband and started again on a new system

4 Likes

I bought some Quad S4s. They are fantastic. Just make sure the rest of your kit is on a par, particularly the quality of speaker leads.

They are Monitor Audio Studio 10s - I bought them secondhand in the late 90s so they were made in Cambridgeshire, not China. Lovely things, but really coming into their own. Everything sounds so musical, and I spent a lot of time rediscovering music.

I had a relation who had an outrageous system when I was younger, so I know what good stuff sounds like - you hear the band in the studio rather than through a hifi.

4 Likes

Aren’t we getting entirely off-topic? :smiley:

Sorry!

Yes sorry for digressing

Don’t be! I have been enjoying the conversation, and thinking about revisiting my Linn/Naim days. So ta.

4 Likes

Still use my naim nait 1… Upgraded… Gave my son the linn kanns… Was shocked at the improvement Dynaudio speakers made… Bought a bluos streamer im now in 21st century after having same hifi for 35 years

1 Like

…and they say the language of the wine world is opaque to outsiders and newcomers…:smirk:

11 Likes

Stop talking about hifi! This site has already cost me a small fortune as far as wine is concerned I can ill afford the same thing happening with hifi… :grinning:

4 Likes

Yeah… get a room. :wink:

4 Likes

I thought you had the power to put them in a room!

2 Likes

Nice kit everyone !

Nothing so fancy here I’m afraid. Just Quad amps and CD player ( from their ‘budget’ series made in China ), Pro-Ject X turntable with a carbon arm and a good quality MC cartridge, Monitor Audio ‘Silver’ floor standing speakers and high quality interconnects throughout.

I couldn’t really justify spending more back in the early noughties, when most of it was bought, due to the background thrum of traffic noise from outside.

1 Like

Oh well here goes - and my wallet may not be happy as a result. Has anyone added streaming to a fairly high-end hifi? I keep looking at options but can’t really settle (currently play vinyl and CDs).

1 Like

I’m afraid to confess I added an Amazon Echo to my separates system via a 3.5 to L/R cable, and so now pump meagre quality Spotify music through TDL RTL2’s and 3’s…

2 Likes

Or a Roon (hi-fi joke).

1 Like

It can be a very dangerous addiction too lol…
Streaming is great… I started with Spotify and recently upgraded to Tidal…
Hifi now has a 2nd life of cd quality music

great stuff! I very recently had my Project 6.1 turntable serviced and am now enjoying my old vinyl collection, even bought a couple of new ECM records :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did about 18 months or so ago. ATC SCM20 speakers driven by Musical Fidelity A308 pre/power amp combo. I added a Google Chromecast Audio dongle (no longer made, but available on eBay if now 3x the price I paid for it!) and fed it through an optical output to a Musical Fidelity M1DAC so it bypasses the crappy internal digital to analogue converter of the dongle. The sound is almost on a par with my CDs playing on a Meridian 508.24 so that’s pretty much as good as it gets, unless you start to spend really silly money. I know there are Linn and other alternatives out there that will possibly match the quality, but not at the price of a dongle + M1DAC.

1 Like