01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Hello! :) Introduce yourself

That’s all you need really :smiley:

7 Likes

A motto for life there @Brocklehurstj

2 Likes

Dave. Welcome. I sympathise having had a similar rude awakening on wine prices when I returned from Argentina. On the tastings, you can view past one on YouTube, which will give you an insight into how the are delivered. I have joined a number but enjoy the explanation and discussion more than the actual tasting. That said, I have just bought the tasting pack for the north v south blind tasting in August - tasting blind is fun and removes most preconceptions.

Welcome @DrDave and I trust you will find plenty of information and advice here. If none of it works, try this guy:

By way of introduction I responded to a message from Nick, aka Bluebeard, for a casual offline at Crouch End Cellars this week organised by The Wine Society (TWS) forum after a couple of people had to drop out. I have been a member of a couple of other forums, one based in the US and another based in the UK, since 2001 and 2006 respectively, but I have been a membership of TWS for much longer - so it is only appropriate that I join TWS community after all these years - in fact since 1986, from a tender young age, when my first boss invited me to a burgundy tasting at the World Trade Centre near Tower Bridge. He also used to drag me along to Beaujolais Nouveau tastings in November, which meant I did not start to develop an interest in wine until two years later when I tasted some exuberant Australian numbers. It was then I realised that wine wasn’t just something to drink strictly with food, but could be pleasurable on its own. Since then my tastes have evolved and, fortuitously, I started collecting more seriously in the early 1990s. I have accumulated a fair bit of wine over many years in many different locations, including at TWS, but I have rarely regretted buying anything. Much more, I have regretted the ones that got away. These days I buy more from TWS than anywhere else. I would say my tastes are quite eclectic but most of my holdings are in Bordeaux, Burgundy, Piedmont and Northern Rhone. Living in London N1 I am ideally placed to attend a lot of wine tasting events and dinners throughout the year. As a natural hedge against my Bacchanalian vinous and culinary pursuits I am a keen cyclist, which ostensibly helps to restore a sense of equilibrium. Last night’s gathering at Crouch End Cellars was a resounding success , as each wine shone in its own inimitable style. I very much look forward to future interactions with TWS community.

Ian

22 Likes

Hello @ComteFlaneur . Great to have your company - beware of being drawing into expenditure for which you hadn’t planned. Lots of exciting opportunities will be drawn to your attention.

3 Likes

Welcome Ian and great to meet you in person last night. I’ve certainly found this community to be an eye- (and wallet-) opening experience. Perhaps Greece and South Africa should be the theme of the next North London gathering :wink:

Jim (or Mark!)

3 Likes

Hi Everyone,

I’ve just joined The Wine Society and taken delivery of my first mixed case - in the middle of a heat wave and whilst trying to lose weight, so I’ve not tried any of them yet.

In all honesty I think of myself as a real ale drinker. I’ve never had a taste for spirits, had a quick fling with various gins but now turned my back on tehm (ironically, just as my brother has opened a distillery producing the stuff) and similarly with whisky/whiskey.

I love mainly red wines - I’d guess my favourite area would be the Douro. My tastes are quite cheap and uncomplicated - mainly fruity and full bodied. The best wine I’ve ever tasted - a toss up between two, a Dao (an experience never repeated, sadly) and a Petaluma Coonawarra from Brian Crozer from down under.

White wines, great in hot weather and well chilled, but I seldom return for a second glass. I’ve probably got a dodgy pallet.

Mainly, I’m looking forward to learning more about wine.

regards Ian S

18 Likes

Welcome Ian! There’s quite a good thread on red wines to try with lots of good recommendations. You’ll soon find yourself sucked in, have no fear :wink:

Jim

1 Like