01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Hello! :) Introduce yourself

Hi Richard @Cutter, welcome to The Community! Wow, 1976, you’re a very long-standing member then :blush: great to have you on here. If you have any bottles of Rioja in your collection then please feel free to join us for our TWSTaste tonight! It’s our virtual home tasting and we’re all trying different vintages of Rioja from bottles we have at home!

1 Like

Hi Everyone

I’m Mark, a member of the Wine Society for many years and sadly never part of the ‘Community’, however, a good friend of mine, also a member, suggested I join to enjoy the wine banter.

15 Likes

Welcome in :smiley:

Welcome indeed @BordeauxVBurgundy! :smiley: Great to have you here. I take it from your username you’re a fan of the classic regions?

1 Like

Welcome, Mark - loving the handle!

It reminds me of a story I was told by wine writer Richard Mayson (Port, Madeira and general Portugal expert) who begand his wine career in the marketing team at The Society many moons ago. We were much smaller then, and so he was interviewed by none other than the then chairman Edward Penning Rowsell. EPR asked Richard whether he preferred Bordeaux or Burgundy. Richard thought long and hard and decided to err on the side of value and rarity. “Burgundy!” he replied. “Well we’ll soon change that!” came the retort from EPR. (He still got the job!)

11 Likes

Hi guys, fairly new to the WIne Society, I normally hang around on Cellartracker, but theres this thing going on in my life that means I have to be home on the computer more, so I thought I might as well get to know this community too.

And theres a Rioja tasting in the off, so that’s well on my radar.

15 Likes

Welcome and YAY Tannat!

2 Likes

Hi my name is Richard and I have been a wine society member since 1986 which gives a clue that I am not a spring chicken
I took the WSET exams a couple of years ago in London having flown up from Exeter for the day and passed level 3 with ‘merit’
In these difficult times I am looking for virtual tastings to join - any info ?
Richard

9 Likes

Welcome @RichardG! :smiley:

Absolutely! We just had a Rioja tasting which you can catch up on here:

And we’re planning another tasting for next Thursday - we’re thinking red and/or white Burgundy - do you have any at home so you can join us? I think we’re doing fizz the week after that! :smiley:

1 Like

Ah you’ve just missed a cracking Rioja tasting! But welcome anyway. We usually have a virtual tasting once a month ish but at the moment planning a few more! (Seems @laura beat me to it!)

1 Like

Incidentally a thought for a possible future tasting (too soon right now). I’d love to have a comparative tasting of a traditional and a modern Rioja. I’m still really not clear on the difference!

2 Likes

Welcome, Richard.

That sounds great had a lovely Auxy-Duresses at Xmas with the family - only wish we had ordered more - not sure the children (in their 20s) really appreciated the subtlety as much as my wife and I - tempting to give them Macon villages and keep the good stuff for us !!!
We are big fizz fans also so will be there for that definitely !
Can’t wait
Richard

5 Likes

Modern good, traditional not so good… :wink:

2 Likes

Hi All,

In these troubled times, let wine be the saviour!!! My favourite Regions for red wines are Rhone, Languedoc-Roussillon and I also like to dabble in some Chiliean varieties. When it comes to white its White Burgundy. I hope everyone is keeping safe.

14 Likes

:thinking: who could that be?

1 Like

Welcome @DJKnocker! You’ll find lots of fellow Rhone enthusiasts on the Rhone Rangers topic (it’s quite long already, so you may want to scroll down to the latest posts) - and we’re also hosting a Burgundy virtual tasting this Thursday if you have any white Burgundy at home you’d like to open with us?

1 Like

Hi. I am joining the burgundy tasting but my Pinot is from Alsace, Bott Geyl. See you there :laughing:

4 Likes

Welcome! And that sounds like a great call - we tried an Alsace pinot together at a TWSTaste just a few months ago and it went down very well indeed:

Yours is a different one though so I’m really looking forward to hearing more about it. :smiley:

Hi - I’m John: retired and living in a small village in East Yorkshire, near to Hull. I have been a member of TWS since 2013. Whilst on an organised walking holiday in Dovedale, I met a wine enthusiast who recommended TWS. At that time I was a member of another online wine club but, to my astonishment, soon after our return home, membership of TWS arrived through the post, a gift from this new friend Harry. I have never looked back since then. Amazing generosity. We still keep regularly in touch.

10 Likes