01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Hello! :) Introduce yourself

Welcome MPT from another forum newbie… :smiley:

Executive summary: You can’t go wrong with any of those. A selection of lovely wines, there :yum:

Thanks everyone. I can see myself contributing to the ‘weekend drinking’ threads as during the current climate it is all you can do to limit mon-thurs and enjoy something on the days that really matter…

My wife and I live in Colorado but in a typical year we spend about 3+ months in Europe (4 trips of 3 to 4 weeks, typically a mix of time in England and elsewhere in Europe).

We are both enthusiastic wine drinkers - historically been mainly European Reds but we are slowly migrating to more whites and Roses. We like California Pinot Noirs but due to very highland and labour costs they tend to be very expensive.

11 Likes

Hi @stevepen1820, welcome to the community. Lots of enthusiastic wine drinkers frequent these pages, so you’re in good company. I’m also a fan of European reds (most of them, anyway), though I can’t say I’ve tried any Californian Pinot Noirs that have bowled me over (though probably due to the costs you mention). How does Oregon compare cost-wise from a domestic perspective? What other countries / regions have you tried Pinot Noirs from?

1 Like

Hello all, Jack here. I’m still relatively new to TWS having been gifted a membership for my 30th Birthday in October 2018. Having really only started getting into wine in my mid twenties I’m still very much at that early stage of figuring out my likes and dislikes. I’ve always been a big fan of Rioja and love a lightly chilled pinot noir on a sunny day like today, but I’m always trying to broaden my horizons so I usually like to add a couple of bottles from off the beaten track to any order from TWS (Xinomavro being the most recent thanks to these pages!). I’m also a big sherry fan having been lucky enough to spend a couple of weeks in Andalusia last September and visiting a number of the sherry bodegas, so I’ll be cooling off with a nice glass of of Fino or Manzanilla Pasada in a couple of hours time. Anyway, just thought I would pop by and say hello. Hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine.

17 Likes

Hello, Jack, and welcome.

1 Like

Jack, welcome. If you enjoyed the Xinomavro you might find the presentation by Demetri Walters MW interesting. https://youtu.be/_4lJ6ypNmuk

Thanks Robin, I’ll certainly give that a watch

1 Like

Morning All,
Hope everyone is well.
Jonathan from Glasgow.
I’ve been a member for decades, but some how this has passed me by.
looking forward to talk about all things wine!

12 Likes

Welcome @Jonny616, looking forward to hearing all about your favourite wines. Get stuck in, new community members always welcome.

2 Likes

Welcome aboard!

1 Like

Hello! I am another newbie, though I have no excuse for being so late to the party as I have been working for The Wine Society for years! My name is Steve, I am rather grandly called the Wine Information Editor, trying like King Canute to curate (and occasionally create) our vast database of notes for the wines that appear on the website, as well as some other copy and content. I live in Hertford with my lovely wife Tansy and an ancient but lovable cat called Bonnie, where I am currently working from home thanks to the labours of our IT team - hats off to them. I got a job with the Society in 2008, working at first in the Showroom so ‘hi’ to any of the lovely members I used to chat with there. I have been a member of the Society since 2005, a relative latecomer given that I fell in love with wine some 30 years ago and took the first two levels of the WSET exams under my own steam in 1995, and I am grateful that the Society helped me get a WSET Diploma a few years ago. I’m a lucky boy, working where I do and with a product I genuinely love. Please don’t ask me to choose a wine style over all others, I just can’t be emphatic about that - there is too much wonderful wine to enjoy out there. Italy holds a special place in my heart because their food holds a special place in my stomach. And, of course, if money were no object I recall rather dreamily some ethereal, intense and mind blowing red Burgundies over the years. I am always trying new wines to me because there are some wonderful surprises out there. Santorini whites anyone? Away from the Society, but never far from some wine, I read a lot (history and historical novels for the main part), draw and very occasionally paint, cook every day and love an eclectic range of music from 50’s crooners to proper old school heavy metal via classic 60s and 70s rock and prog. It’s amazing how nostalgia can improve music you were indifferent to as a teenager! Wine not so much (supermarket Lambrusco and Corrida at teenage parties anyone?). So, wine and music recommendations are very welcome folks! I look forward to joining in.

19 Likes

@WholeLottaRose Not to mention the wonderful recipes that you write for The Wine Society, as our resident foodie! This one was exceptionally popular: https://www.thewinesociety.com/inspiration-recipe-beef-rendang

Great to have you on board, Steve!

3 Likes

I inherited Soc membership at the end of the 1990s but do like to experiment with wine supply. Having lived in Portugal and know the Alentejo reasonably well, I’m a real fan of their wines. Recently I have been following Joao Portugal Ramos’s wines from Estremoz, where he makes full and flavoursome wines, but recently he has been forming allegencies with wine makers in the Tejo and Douro. However for this week‘S event I will be tasting with you ‘Rainha do Mar’ 2019 from the Setubal peninsular, where being near the sea it is 100% Fernao Pires grape. As it states on the label it has a spicy aromatic character, which is delicious for this time of year. Wine maker is Jaime Quendera for the co-operative of Santa Isidro de Pegoes. It’s 12% so not going to drown you quickly!
I haven’t come across the Mouchao white, so will look forward to having more news on that.

12 Likes

Hi @Piersman, thanks for joining us! Can’t help but be very jealous that you’ve spent some time living in Portugal! It will be great to have you join our Portugal Community virtual tasting this Thursday :slight_smile:

Despite having been here for 18 months (and a member since 2014) I don’t seem to have written an intro here…

@TokyoMB comes from spending 2002-2011 in Tokyo for work. Enjoyed wine at university, but got more interested when I started work in London opposite the Oddbins fine wine store under the arches at Holborn Viaduct. In Tokyo I completed WSET Level 2 and Level 3, and also got into attending wine dinners - hosted by winemakers and importers and developed a taste for the wines of the Rhone.

Purchased a Eurocave to keep my wine in after pouring most of a case of Calon Segur down the sink after it cooked in a Tokyo summer. Bought a great diversity of Australian and NZ wine in Tokyo and had some memorable wine-focused trips - particularly a week around Victoria - everything from Chambers-Rosewood stickies purchased from their tin shed winery to the precision of Mornington Peninsula Pinot Noir and Chardonnay.

Now I’m back I divide my time between London (pre-covid) and Shropshire. Have built an above ground wine-cellar and now have a predominantly old-world wine collection albeit nothing very high-end (Burgundy 33%, Rhone 19%, Bordeaux 9%, Germany 12%, Italy 9%, Portugal 4%, Spain 4% etc.) That disguises a degree of diversity that the grape variety report from CellarTracker evidences - 19% Pinot Noir, 14% Syrah, 13% Riesling, 12% Chardonnay, 9% Red Bordeaux blend, and then 35 other grape varieties/blends each representing less than 5%.

I’m a member at JancisRobinson.com, Cellartracker, and a subscriber to Word of Fine Wine and Noble Rot magazines. Look forward to participating more here.

17 Likes

Welcome @TokyoMB, great to have you onboard as such! Lots of Francophiles among the community members so you’ll fit in well. Have a look at the Weekday and weekend drinking threads and post your delights, will look forward to seeing what you’re drinking.

3 Likes

Hi All.

Tom from London here. Have recently found TWS so wanted to say hello!

Look forward to discussing all things grape

12 Likes

Hello @Tomfitz! Welcome to the Community! I am confident that you will find anything and everything wine (and food) related within these pages. Don’t blame us if your wine purchases start getting more expensive though… :upside_down_face:

8 Likes