01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

He Didn't Like It…

Or even Fight Club…

5 Likes

How very odd , reviewing wines is part of her job, for all anyone knows she not even be a member …! Strange comment :see_no_evil:.

1 Like

All very strange, particularly given that Fiona Beckett is a great advocate for TWS in her columns, which is one of the reasons I took the plunge a couple of years ago and also makes me think she must be a member herself.

5 Likes

I figure he thinks TWS should be some sort of elite secret, probably complete with secret handshake!

3 Likes

Have you not been told about the handshake yet?

12 Likes

Shhhhh :crazy_face: :rofl:

1 Like

Tbf its more of a fist pump :laughing:

3 Likes

She only has one review in the last 50 shown here

once bitten twice shy

1 Like

Consistently bad reviews here.

I don’t know the wine but the slight fizz referenced many times and the ones who bought more than one bottle saying huge variation immediately makes me think faulty batch? Contamination on the bottling line maybe?

3 Likes

More likely bottled with residual carbon dioxide. Getting pretty common these days particularly with Pinot Noir. Tends to attenuate with a bit of age but otherwise best to give it a few vigorous shakes to dissipate. If you don’t it does tend to dull the taste.

2 Likes

I had a bottle of this a while back, bought as 1 of a selection of 3 ‘budget’ PN’s in an effort to find an affordable drinker. I don’t remember any fizz, but do remember it being very dissapointing and easily the worst of the 3.

Given the quality of the equivalent level Chard it was something of a shock.

1 Like

Yes, this is one we’re aware of and looking into. Well spotted!

1 Like

I also have had this wine. Agree it wasn’t very good, I did get the slight fizz but it seemed to settle down.
The basic Chardonnay is better but not a standout, I’ve had a few bottles and it’s ok.
The estate chardonnays and the hunting hill are very good, never tried the pricier Pinot wines they produce.

Exactly my thoughts. One would hope that TWS would note the consistent and repeatedly similar comments.

I’ve tried this wine before, and it was OK. Unremarkable. The Chardonnay at similar price point was a fair bit better. However, the twice I’ve tried it (once at WS tasting, once at home) it didn’t exhibit any obvious faults as are described repeatedly here. Sounds like they should be suspending sales of it and testing a few bottles themselves.

I don’t know the wine but the slight fizz referenced many times and the ones who bought more than one bottle saying huge variation immediately makes me think faulty batch? Contamination on the bottling line maybe?
[/quote]

Good idea but TWS is still selling Chateau Coufran, despite the many negative reviews.. The fact that, there, the ‘most helpful review’ is positive, rather than negative, perhaps gives an insight into priorities.

I think that Coufran is a somewhat different case.

It’s a pretty mature minor claret. I’ve had it before (Majestic sold some surplus stock parcels from the Swedish wine monopoly about 15-20 years ago). At that age, it will be susceptible to fault particularly if the cork quality is suspect, as appears to be the case. Oxidation being to the fore. At that age there are more risks, though the cork issue suggests inferior corks or poor storage.
Cellartracker drinking window ended 2 years ago, and while I take that with a small pinch of salt, the reviews in the last year definitely suggest a fading wine. Add in some dodgy corks or poor storage, or just not to people’s taste and that may be your answer. Sounds like there is a case for bin ending it at a bargain ‘buyer beware’ price?

The Kumeu PN sounds like a winemaking fault. The bad reviews are nearly all more recent, suggesting a bad batch frankly. I’ve dug out what I wrote about the previous vintage at a WS tasting:

Light colour, fresh, redcurrants. Slightly harsh on palate initially, light and a bit one dimensional. Decent enough PN for this price, but not as good as their Chardonnay

3 Likes

Sorry to ruin your assumptions of priorities, but TWS don’t determine the most helpful reviews, members do. For the two ‘most helpful’ reviews 4 of 4 and 8 of 9 other members clicked yes to the question “did you find this helpful”

4 Likes