01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

He Didn't Like It…

“Tasting notes: raspberry juice, petrol, and lingering odours of dead cat”

No he didn’t. It’s a shame we can’t track reviewers, this was a pretty entertaining read.

It’s almost worth £13.50 just to see to what extent if any you agree with this review.

Puts A A Gill to shame! :open_mouth:

I currently have it on the rack so I’ll let you all k ow … or maybe I’ll write a counter review :rofl:

I have an earlier (2015) one, but that says it is only 17% Santa Barbara. Is the current one called Sta B because it is 100%? I think it was part of a mixed case.

Ha love it. I didn’t like it either, but couldn’t have put it so eloquently :smile:

Its made by Dr Alan Munro

But was the dead cat a ‘funky’ dead cat? I think we need to know…

i’m more interested in the octane of the petrol

Question is though, do you trust the tasting notes of someone who knows what petrol tastes like!?!

dont read my tasting notes… :wink:

I hope customer services got in touch and offered a refund plus a bonus for the amusing review!

I have had various vintages of this, including the current one, but have to say that I have never detected petrol, dead cat or even raspberry juice. Makes me wonder where Dr Munro spends his time!

To me, it’s an accessible, forward, easy drinking introduction to Californian pinot noir, with nice cherry flavours, some tannins to add some spice and a reasonable finish. The two pinots to which the good doctor compared it, both of which I have tried, are different styles, so it really comes down to personal taste. For the price, I think that this is a very decent Californian pinot noir and great, when you just want to unwind and haven’t the energy to truly appreciate a more complex wine.

My mum grew up in the south west and she told me they used to be able to get their cider from a converted petrol garage. - the cider was served though the pumps! Dead rats a-plenty in the tank apparently so I reckon she’d be alright at detecting petrol, dead rat and apple juice.

I agree with his thoughts on the Momo Pinot; it’s lovely with rat or cat flavours.

There was a ‘no’ missing from that last post :joy:

Anyone who rode a 125 cc BSA Bantam in their youth - by now a very distant era - would know exactly what petrol tastes like. How else would one clear detritus from that primitive carburettor? I drank an earlier Parker pinot at a price, if memory serves, much closer to £10. A crucial distinction; I was beginning to despair of finding such a pinot that wasn’t over-fruited. The Parker filled the bill and I’m prepared to give this one a punt.

On Wikepedia * A 2013 proposal to cap bankers’ bonuses was compared to a dead cat by Boris Johnson:[5]

There is one thing that is absolutely certain about throwing a dead cat on the dining room table – and I don’t mean that people will be outraged, alarmed, disgusted. That is true, but irrelevant. The key point is that everyone will shout, ‘Jeez, mate, there’s a dead cat on the table!’ In other words, they will be talking about the dead cat – the thing you want them to talk about – and they will not be talking about the issue that has been causing you so much grief.[4]