01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Harrogate Tasting Event - my pick of the bunch

twstaste

So I was delighted to be picked as the Taste Ambassador by TWS at the Regional Tasting in Harrogate last Wednesday. All the wines were from the Loire or South Africa & this was great success as it was really interesting to try the same grapes from different regions. But here is my pick of the bunch.

1st off was the Saumur Rose Brut NV. It was like Pink Lady apples in a glass & great picnic wine - excellent value.

The Savennieres Petite Roche 2016 was an eyeopener. Like drinking Lockets (but in a good way), the honey & zesty lemon shone through & would be great with food.

Next up the reds… & Saumur Rouge Domaine Serge Laloue 2015 - Red Sancerre - Who knew??? It was my 1st time trying Pinot Noir from Sancerre but it won’t be the last! Ripe but fresh fruit, good use of oak & a lovely long finish. Beautiful

For a Tuesday night wine you can’t go wrong with the Chinon “Le Temps des Cerises” Domaine de la Noblaie. The colour was amazing , it lived up to its name - vibrant cerise & tasting of brambles and cherries

But my absolute favourite was the vertical tasting of Kanonkop Estate Paul Sauer from 2011, 2012 & 2013. It was the highlight of the night to taste all 3 wines side by side. Noticeably different characteristics and flavours shone through. 2011 stood out for me. A perfectly balanced wine, well integrated tannins, chocolate, coffee but still fruity - elegance in a glass. Not cheap but a real treat to open and share all 3 together with fellow wine lovers.

Agreed! :grinning: The 2017 was really good - but I assume you tasted the 2018? We had some last night, and although it felt a bit young, perhaps - we still got this terrific cherry and raspberry fruit, with lively acidity and smooth, light tannins. Great fun of a wine!

I also completely agree about red Sancerre. Like you, it came as a bit of a revelation to me how good Pinot Noir can be when made there, in warm years, with ripe fruit. Not exactly Burgundy, but certainly offers a quaffable, fresh and food-friendly Pinot.

Sounds like you had a lovely time at the event! :+1::+1:

After many near misses, I finally decided to add some Paul Sauer to my cellar. Thanks to the Society for putting this vertical (now sold out) together and many thanks to @Jo_Baxter for her tasting notes. Must grab a Chinon too.