01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Hangács Egri Bikaver, Saint Andrea 2013

discovery

Got this one as part of the “High-Grade Hungary Case”.

This is a superb wine, it needs time to breathe to improve and would, I am sure, age well for 10+ years due to the relatively high tannins and acidity.

It is a mix of kékfrankos (Blaufränkisch), pinot noir, merlot, cabernet franc and kadarka.

Good structure and backbone with limited fruit on the nose.

Would compare to a Greek Xinomavro or perhaps a good Barolo.

Weekend Drinking Thread [3 Mar]

My mixed case of the Hungarian wines was only delivered today so I very much look forward to drinking this after it has rested (but before it runs out so I can re-order).

What sort of occasion would you suggest is best for this wine, or at least sort of food match? (My knowledge of Hungarian cuisine is somewhat limited, so maybe something more ‘Modern European’)

I would suggest matching to something like a game stew, or maybe a rare venision steak, or even a rich pheasant casserole.
It’s not an easy-drinking session wine, it’s a serious drop with fairly high ABV, the bottle I’m on is on its third day (left open to age, no vacuvin or similar) which is normally unheard of in our house!

Great warning! There are always the occasional bottles you wish you had opened at least the day before to give them time to sing … but unfortunately thirst often gets the better of me

Edit: just realised that with the name “Saint Andrew” it might have been a great wine to open on Burns Night :wink:

Andrea is a girl’s name, Andras would be the Andrew equivalent

Close enough in my glass

Hungarian Bikavers are some of the most interesting and delicious wines I’ve enjoyed tasting. Well worth exploring, so I’ll give this one a go as well. It’s interesting comparing the classic Eger Bikavers with the style being produced in Szekszard in southern Hungary from the same blend!

There are two big differences between Eger and Szekszard in terms of Bikaver. The first one is the climate, Szekszardis closer to Mediterranean, while Eger is cooler. The second one is the quantity, Eger makes 40 times as many bottles of the stuff (so there is more crap, not the St Andrea mind you)…

I am biased towards Szekszard, but at least I admit it

Has anyone tried this other Bikaver on the current list?

Sounds like it might be good, too.

All St Andrea wines I tried, bar one, were excellent… and I have been to their restaurant in Budapest a few times for the coverage to be reasonable. The one bad apple was actually a very old Pinot Noir and to be fair to the Somm we have been forewarned…

Yes, I tried the Áldás Egri Bikaver, St Andrea 2015 @ £11.50. Didn’t think it was a patch on the Hangács Egri Bikaver, Saint Andrea 2013 @ £19, TBH.