01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Halo ZOS Wine Preservation system

I was given a Halo ZOS for Christmas. See https://zoswine.com/ for details.
I followed the instructions carefully and put it on a bottle of open wine. The wine was open for around a week and the system seemed to do the trick as the wine was fine. I then put it on another bottle and it said the cartridge was dead. The cartridge is supposed to do 15 bottles, not one…
I have since bought another pair of cartridges (£18 delivered, so not exactly cheap!) but have yet to try it again. If it manages just one bottle per cartridge again then it will end up in the bin very rapidly.
Has anyone else got any experience of this “system” or any comments/advice?
Thanks.

Not come across this system, I am more interested in the ETO decanter as that doesn’t need any cartridges - plus I don’t have any wines that would warrant investing in something like a Coravin, let us know how it works out with the new cartridges, might be worth getting in touch and asking about the lifespan etc.

The ETO looks like a good idea, in theory at least it’s foolproof. Coravin is excellent, it really does work, but you can’t use it once the bottle is open (unlike ZOS) so you need to decide to Coravin the wine right from the outset, which has its pros and cons. Coravin is also expensive.

I use a Vacuvin which works well. Cheap too.

I too use the Vacuvin, have you had any issues with it dulling an aromatic wine (owing to the vacuum above the wine pulling out aromatics).

I also have a Vacuvin. I think it has to be better than just re-corking, or indeed nothing, but I’m unconvinced of its ability really to work fully, though I’m sure it extends the life of the wine somewhat. At the other end of the spectrum Coravin is amazing, I’ve had wines “open” for a year that have still be absolutely perfect! I think Halo ZOS probably fits in the middle assuming – that is – that the next cartridge achieves more than one bottle. If it doesn’t then as far as I’m concerned it will be as good as useless because of the cost.

How does the Halo ZOS work?

Does it:
a) remove oxygen from the ‘air’ space above the remaining wine?
or
b) extract oxygen from the remaining wine itself?

If a), then it seems comparable to systems which ‘seal off’ the remaining wine (argon, eto decanter, etc.)
If b) then this is a very interesting idea I haven’t heard before!

@NeO_OeN it just sits in the top and is supposed to “absorb” 100% of oxygen in the space above the wine. I think removing the already-combined oxygen would be almost impossible from a chemistry perspective, and if it were possible I expect it would destroy the wine completely!

I am guessing the capsule at the top contains a basic oxygen absorber (as found in sachets in some food products). Considering most of the air is inert nitrogen it just means that the system removed the oxygen part from the air in the bottle meaning no oxidation can take place.

@M1tch I think essentially you are right, though there’s somehow a bit more to it as there are electronics in the top and flashing LEDs to tell you (allegedly) if it’s working or not.

Thanks @seworby. That seems right to me too.

In which case the Wine Preserver (inert gases) sold by the Society seems to be a cheaper and simpler solution (8 pence per use is claimed).

In fact only the Coravin (or similar) would beat it, on the basis that it would prevent the bottle aeration that occurs on pouring the wine in the first place.

Its true that you can’t undecant a wine -

Option 1: Pour what you want from the bottle, preserve what is left in the bottle and decant what has been poured for whatever time deemed suitable for the wine.

Option 2: Invite friends around, no wine left to preserve!

I’m sure there must be another option that would deal with ensuring there was no wine left in that decanter … just can’t quite put my finger on it :wink:

I suppose the difference between ZOS and The Society’s “Wine Preserver” (apart from the cost!) is that with the ZOS you can supposedly tell if it’s still working or not?
In my defence I do remind folk that this was a present, I didn’t (and wouldn’t have) bought it myself…!

I haven’t noticed any dulling of the aromatics.

With most red wines I think recorking is sufficient especially as the extra oxygen will improve it, in the short term, at least.

It does seem to be the best option, as the others unless preserving expensive wines are not cost effective, as it is not yet on sale other than pre order it is also unproven at the moment.

Although its not on sale yet it does seem to make sense, basically making a collapsible bottle to have no volume of gas above the wine - guess its a bit like decanting a wine into a smaller bottle to reduce the contact with air.

The big flaw I see in Eto is that you need to decant the whole bottle into another vessel (the Eto system bottle) which will aerate it. With certain wines that’s a death sentence in it’s own right before you even start trying to “keep” it for a while.

It’s a thoughtful present, though - one I would have been pleased to receive. I love systems that remove the guesswork - especially if they communicate via sophisticated indicators!

I have a Coravin, not so much because I have the kind of fine wine that would warrant it but because I live alone & it means I can keep the better bottles for longer. After an initial problem where I broke a needle I learned that part of a metal foil needs to be removed before using the device & since then I’ve been very happy with it.