01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Half bottles

Double checked, putting in halves is exactly the same as 75cl bottles like @szaki1974 says :slightly_smiling_face: so you can put them in as a straight case or make up a mixed case of 12 with up to 4 different wines.

thanks Catherine, good to know. Is the cost of storing half and full bottles the same, too?

I’ve noticed that occasionally it actually works out cheaper to buy half bottles… For example, on the current list

While…

So if my (bad) maths is right, it’s a £1 cheaper per bottle in half bottles…

I bought 12 bottles of the halves so that, for not too much outlay, I can drink a couple a year until the end of the drinking window in 2024. Looking forward to learning how it evolves over that time.

It is the same because physically they take up the same amount of space in the Reserves.

that makes sense, keeps it simple, too.

I would also like to cast my vote for more halves, and I am quite happy to pay (eg) 10% extra for the convenience, and for the opportunity to try different wines with a smaller investment. Having a whole bottle of something that doesn’t suit my palate is frustrating. Also, my wife doesn’t drink red, so a half is ideal for me.

I like halves for midweek quaffing.
My last order, just yesterday included the Society’s White Burgundy, Thalabert, Raspail, Champagne, and Guigal CdR ALL in halves!
I have some 2015 Barsac halves in reserves.
Only yesterday, I placed a couple of cases of the Raspail 2015 halves in reserves.
As an aside, I would love to see 50cl flasks as an available format; but imagine that is a bridge too far.
And yes, I support the proposal for more halves to be available.

@M1tch @MikeFranklin
I had not read up on the ETO before but thanks to you, I have now.
When these decanters become available, then I’m in, so please post here with a link. Thanks,

I think you can order them off the Indigogo page on the right as a pre order:

There was a thread awhile ago about 50cl bottles and why they are not seen for legal reasons etc, in one hotel we stayed at in France a couple of weeks back I ordered a wine and the manager came back and said it was out of stock but would two half bottles be acceptable, yes I replied, but what was brought to the table were two 50cl bottles, I picked up the wine list and apart from the sweet wine section ALL half bottles were 50cl, and before anyone tells me the obvious, 50cl is not a half bottle.

Thursday for me is a day for the mundane, so order groceries, receive wine orders et al, sort out the recycling; - we all have to do it.
Whilst doing an Asda order, I noticed they had half bottles of Bolly NV at £18.
It is normally £24 with them.
Here at TWS a bottle of Bolly NV is £47, down to £39 if you buy 6.
So £18 per half is a no brainer for me.
And yes, in my most recent order I took 2 halves of the Societies Gratien NV Champagne at £16.50 per half.

And I do have some vintage Bolly and Pol Roger squirrelled away.
And vintage Boizel and Taittinger in reserves.
And some M&S Oudinot and Lanson that I invariably give a year or two’s additional bottle age to.
That ploy turns the acceptable into something much better. I scribble the month/year on the label to keep track.

I think that an ex-GF once remarked to me one day, that it was impossible to have too much Champagne!!:wink:
You know, I think that she was correct!!

I thought that for a case of, say, 12 half bottles you pay half the storage price of 12 full bottles. Do you mean if you put a mix of half and whole bottles, the halves get charged as wholes (unlike a case of halves) ? I refer to this :

3.3.1. Rental charges will be calculated and invoiced annually in advance at the rate shown in The Society’s List current at the date of the invoice. The cost is charged per dozen 75cl bottles or part thereof (or equivalent in other sizes).

I’m intrigued as to how these change the flavour of a wine. I used to use a vacuvin, but stopped because I felt it changed the flavour - it oxidised a bit less, bit seemed to somehow deaden the wine.

But obviously this is a different technique.

I actually enjoy seeing how wines change when simply recorked, and find they often get better, at least the next day. This is probably because most of what I drink is over £15-20, though - it hasn’t worked so well with cheaper wines, hence the question!

I haven’t found any noticeable change. I tend to put into a decanter for 1-4 hours then decant back into the bottle so it gets a pretty good airing up front. I have previously used vacuum pumps and nitrogen gas canisters. I’m convinced the pumps suck at least some of the bouquet out of the wine; I certainly feel it alters it. However I freely admit that I have no scientific basis for that belief! The latter works pretty well but, particularly once the level is below half I don’t believe you are going to replace all the air.

I have found the anti-ox will keep all but the cheapest wines for a week. They don’t remove 100% of the oxygen so there is of course some change over the week but, as you suggest, that’s not always a bad thing and I think there’s considerably less change than the other methods.

I do think the eto decanters are probably the way to go though, and there you will have complete control; you could eliminate all air or some or none. Your choice.

Ah… so my hunch about the vacuvin does have some support then - that’s good :slight_smile:

Sounds like i should get an anti-ox then. I’m not quite sure about the eto decanter - surely it requires that you KNOW how much oxidation you want? For me part of the fun is being surprised about how a wine can develop (though I guess after a couple of days you just want to reduce the rate of oxidation - unless it’s Musar, of course :smile:

There are, though, those vacuum pump users who would argue exactly the opposite. I have known plenty of people swear by them.

Too much champagne !!! Apparently a surfeit can lead to very bad breath the following morning…CO 2 !!!

If that is true, I wonder what is the definition of surfeit?!? :wink:
And if CO2 is a problem, then presumably that extends to carbonated soft drinks or possibly lagers?
Maybe compounded by the effect of food that included garlic?
And pity the unfortunate halitosis sufferers.
The possiblies are endless!

“I spent a million pounds on champagne in three years. Drank two bottles every day except Wednesday and gave a couple away. It’s something like 0.1 per cent of the entire country’s champagne turnover for a year. Gives you rotten breath. You have to eat two carrots per bottle. Nothing was going wrong and nobody died: in fact, it was getting better all the time and we won prizes. I knew exactly who I was and what I wanted, which was everything. Right now. If I go and see a dentist, I’d rather he was sober. If I go and see a band I like to think that they’ve tried to spank the limits of their tiny minds.”

Alex James , farmer , cheese maker , former Blur bass player.