01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Guerrilla tasting #4: Bordeaux blend - France Vs South Africa. 28 November 2019

Had an idea for the next Guerrilla tasting - comparing a Claret to a Bordeaux-style blend from South Africa, details below.

Both from the same vintage (2015), both cost £8.95 and both in half bottles, which will both keep the cost reasonable and hopefully aid their development.

The intention is to slot in between the next two official TWSTaste events on 07 November and 05 December. Hoping the poll below will give you the chance to indicate whether you’d like to take part (or not!) and on what date.

• 14 November works best for me
  • 21 November would be amazing
  • 28 November, perfect
  • I’d like to join in but none of the dates above work for me
  • Boo, boring old Bordeaux. Not interested thanks.

0 voters

I need a flimsy excuse to place another order, so let’s hope there enough interest.

#TWSTaste: Burgundy grapes, Alsace style [7th Nov 2019, 8pm]
LIVE from 8pm #TWSTaste: Burgundy grapes, Alsace style [7th Nov 2019]
What is in your basket [Sept-Oct 2019]

I’m provisionally up for this - love Rustenberg, never tried Commanderie before - but can you make it so I can vote for more than one option? I can make two, or maybe even all three dates.

Cheers! :+1:

Sensible. Just need to work out how to do that on my phone

Close the first poll and I will do the new one if that works.

So my last poll was not a decent effort and have closed it down, ready for the grand reopening. Sorry to inconvenience all those who previously responded, please try again shortly :blush:

Second time lucky :slight_smile:

• 14 November, very auspicious
  • 21 November, superb timing
  • 28 November is the greatest date known to wine opening
  • Nothing works for me, can we look at a different date please
  • No way Jose, this tasting will not delight my taste buds

0 voters

if we have enough votes for all dates… we could do a mini tasting series with a 6 bottle case that has free delivery… could be French vs New world (add a Burgundy and Rhone event)… or that may be going too far

If we’re keeping with the halves theme, I’ve got a load of 2015 Burlotto Barolo halves to get through…

Barolo-snatcher!!!

Who is your man on the inside?!?

That was, unfortunately, sarcastic!

@Brocklehurstj - I think we should declare 28 November as the date

That’s a result, looks like everyone can make the 28th.

I’ll close the poll and get a post out confirming the date once i’ve got lunch service out of the way.

Ok, 28 November is confirmed and in the diary.

Just need to get ordering :smile:

I didn’t vote as I’ve not been in a position to look at my diary for a few days but 28th is good for me and I’ve bought the two half bottles, so I’m on!

I’m actually very interested as I’ve had a couple of Commanderies but they were very much lesser vintages and left me a little underwhelmed so I’ve been planning to try a better vintage for a while. And I’m extremely interested in comparing it with a new world equivalent.

Good news, glad you can make it.

For those who haven’t sourced the wines yet, the Rustenberg is on offer at Waitrose, full bottle for £11.99! 2016 vintage though.

https://www.waitrosecellar.com/all-wine-offers/rustenberg-john-x-merriman

lol that’ll teach me to log in more regularly! Can’t do any of the dates anyway so shall look out for the next one

Good spot.

I’ve been trying to do a little research on both wines to keep you entertained while I convince my kids bedtime is something they have finished before 8pm, but am really struggling to find out much about Château de la Commanderie.

Is there something I’m missing or is it not an actual estate, just a brand from Lafon family? At the moment it’s just the notes from TWS and a vintage report, which pales into comparison with the Rustenberg wine. Even Googlemaps is struggling.

There’s this:

descriptive

"The Château de la Commanderie located on the town of Lalande de Pomerol, on the old road to Compostela, is the property of the GFA Château de la Commanderie belonging to the heirs Lafon.On a single block of 39 hectares, 69 acres, 90 centiares, including 29 hectares, 6 ares, 36 centiares planted in vineyards.The care provided to the vineyard, the size that sacrifices the quality of the concept of yield, would not be sufficient, if before being picked, the grape does not was brought to full maturity, giving a quality wine appreciated in many foreign countries. "

Contact information

Lafon
10 route of the Commandery
Lalande-de-Pomerol
05 57 51 40 03

Might be a starting point. From google translate of this page: https://www.lalande-pomerol.com/chateau/chateau-de-la-commanderie

Another Google translate (https://www.vinifine.be/fr/chateau-commanderie-lalande-pomerol.html) indicates that Mouiex is involved:

A breeding mastered by the experts of Pomerol

The Chateau de la Commanderie belongs to the Lafon family. In addition, the establishments Jean-Pierre Moueix carry out the breeding of this wine. The name of Jean-Pierre Moueix is ​​known and recognized in the Bordelais and within the connoisseurs of wine since he has been and now his heirs are among others owners of Chateaux Trotanoy, Lagrange to Pomerol, and the flower Petrus. It is also Jean Pierre Moueix who was the initiator of the international reputation of the famous Petrus. The association between the Lafon family and the mastery of Moueix for the Pomerol and Saint Emilion brings to the Chateau de la Commanderie a delicate and very pleasant wine.