01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Greek Inquirer

@Alchemist, did you really mean to change the title of this topic to gallivating?

Gallivating: intransitive verb.

1 informal : to travel, roam, or move about for pleasure been “gallivanting” all over town.

2 dated, informal : to go about usually ostentatiously or indiscreetly with members of the opposite sex."

1 Like

I quite like it…

2 Likes

Yep - thought that bit was quite apposite when exploring a country’s wine, no?

Not bothered either way to be honest, but prefer the titles that alliterate - Rhone Rangers, Bordeaux Browsers etc. Feel free to change, I won’t be offended. :smiley:

4 Likes

A South African Saunter anyone?

3 Likes

Either way. I just find that standardizing the naming with country + something makes it more self-discoverable.

We’ve got so much in our plates already, that making information more self-discoverable is a small gesture towards helping everyone find their way with less effort, but I digress. Let the crowds Gallivate and stumble into this.

Now that the title is settled, let’s return to discussing our shared experiences across Greek wines and greek winemaking.

2 Likes

So my eternal greek question… I’ve asked this to many greek wine drinkers, buyers and allsorts.

Is there such a thing as good retsina?

2 Likes

The answer is yes, though hard to find in this country. Tear of Pine is an excellent retsina which I have tried twice and, for me, it is the gold standard. A nuanced wine with depth and complexity.

2 Likes

Looks like our own @SteveSlatcher wrote something about retsina a little while back:

1 Like

…and @peterm seems to like it…

Midweek drinking thread (23 -26) November 2020

I am not usually a fan of rosé, but I recently bought a half-case of this. It is serious stuff

1 Like

I was just going to mention this one, but you beat me to it.

I understand some people like the rustic aspects of retsina, but this one tastes like “proper wine”. Many people would probably not even initially notice the resin, but it is there.

I am pleased to see they have now got rid of the shampoo-bottle-style clear plastic label. It looks a lot more classy now!

You beat me to this one though. I only discovered it this Summer!

2 Likes

@inbar, 100% of my dearest 4 Greek friends in London do not go anywhere near Kourtakis. Their relatives (all of whom live in Greece, and which I have met) also seem to share the same peculiar behaviour.

1 Like

Anyone got some good Raki stories? I think I had a couple, but can’t remember.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t know, to be honest - never tried the stuff. But I’m half tempted…! :grinning:

My only Greek drink story is related to my husband’s family property in Corfu. My late father-in-law, whom I never met, purchased it under the name ‘Ionian Enterprises’, with his 6 children and wife as the ‘board of directors’… Said father-in-law apparently used to finish his evenings there with a few slugs of Metaxa 2 star (which certainly tickled his duodenal ulcer!). He was quite a character, I’m told, but I’m yet to either visit the hideaway in Corfu, or drink Matexa… :grinning:

1 Like

Those were the days when I used to drink Metaxa in the terrace with said group of 4 London-based Greek friends.

This example, gifted to me by one of them, came in a pretty hand-painted bottle.

1 Like

Unfortunately there is not much choice available to me. It does the job, and its better than the last one that TWS had

1 Like

That is the real issue.

Got hold of 6 of these last night.

Free delivery £85 and over so looking forward to trying.

3 Likes

Good man! It’s nothing like a Provencal pink. Couldn’t be farther.

1 Like