01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Grapes in the Garden

Hi All

Been growing this Riesling Vine for years. Have occasionally seen small grape buds but this year my children may even get to taste one that is ripe unless the birds beat them to it. Unfortunately, I will have returned to Argentina before then.

Garden Grapes

Nice!

I’ve got some well established vines a friends mum gave me years ago, not sure what they are (I would love to know but when I looked into it tests were mega expensive).

I get loads of small red grapes every year but let the birds eat them and chuck the rest as no idea what to do with them really (I do eat a few of course). A guy walking his dog was telling me there’s someone who gladly comes to collect them in the area to make wine but never gave me the details.

Most likely Viniferis Brandt

After a year of trying to make wine, we now make jam from our grapes, and delicious it is too on scones.

I don’t know why grapes are so rarely used here. In New York state’s Finger Lakes region roadside stalls were selling Grape Pie, and I had a slice ‘a la mode’ for dessert at a winery restaurant there.

In South Africa they sell Hanepoot* grape jam, and that’s what inspired me to turn our small grape crop into jam to be enjoyed throughout the year.

*their synonym for Muscat d’Alexandre

We make grape jelly from ours (an extra fine-filtration stage). Same thing really. Ours is a teinturier grape (produces red juice) so the results can be visually impressive!

I have three vines that was planted by the people who owned the house before us. They’re supposed to grow over a pergola type structure but last year I trained them and pruned for grapes. This obviously coincided with the lovely summer so we were treated to tens of bunches of grapes. We went on holiday at the end of August expecting to come back to lots of crisp, white grapes. Returning the first week of September we found out hopes to be dashed and the bunches had all turned red. Neither my wife or I particularly like grapes and the pips are huge, but they looked great in the garden. Like others I left them for the birds until they got a bit squashy and then threw them in the green waste.

My friends mum was a keen gardener and Spanish so could have aquired them from anywhere but that certainly looks like them, as do @matedw 's

Thanks for the identification (also bit disappointed they aren’t a great varietal of wine grapes)

Brandt grapes were the most often featured vines in garden centres around the UK for years, most probable!

I profess that seeing all these great bunches of grapes is now making me very jealous. I will clearly have to work harder in the future!

Just in case anyone is interested I notice the September issue of the RHS magazine “The Garden” has an article about growing grapes in your garden. These are dessert types, rather than wine grapes, but some people might find it useful.

Birds seem to be enjoying ours! I am also very confused as I thought this was a Riesling vine but as you can see the grapes have taken on a red hue!

In England, which is after all a country with a climate singularly inappropriate for growing grape’s, you need to leave picking until end of October. Pergolas are a disaster though - they may look just the thing for wannabe Mediterranean oneupmanship, but they’re hopeless for ripening in our clinate!.

I think a case could be made (i.e. by me) that the best flavoured fruits of many kinds come from marginal areas. Not always. But “the vine has to struggle” is regularly heard from the lips of viticulturalists. The same is true of apples. Grow it too warm and it loses balance of flavours and becomes pretty worthless.

There is too extreme of course.