01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Grabenwerkstatt GV Offer

Grabenwerkstatt is a winery which remains one of the most exciting discoveries of my career.

Deep in the western extremes of Austria’s beautiful Wachau Valley, Michael Linke and Franz Hofbauer produce some of the most ethereal and elegant grüner veltiner and riesling from their handful of stunningly beautiful, steeply terraced vineyards. Working biodynamically and entirely by hand, they make wines with a special ability to capture every bit of personality and character from their unique vineyard sites.

Buy them now

Having travelled around the world making wine in a number of highly regarded wineries such as New Zealand’s Felton Road, the duo returned to Franz’s home village in the rolling Austrian countryside and in 2014 set up a small winery in his parents’ garage, making tiny quantities of extraordinary wines.

2019 was the vintage of the decade for Austria and this is evident in these already consistently spectacular wines; with an exceptional balance of ripeness of fruit, power, finesse and wonderfully pure and vibrant acidity. This year, along with the remarkable Wachauwerk Grüner Veltliner, I am very excited to have also been able to secure a small parcel of Grabenwerk Grüner Veltliner – the bigger brother to Wachauwerk, which beautifully showcases the terroir of the steep, high-altitude vineyards of the extreme westerly end of the Spitzer Graben valley.

The quantities produced by Franz and Michael are miniscule and we are lucky enough to take the vast majority of what makes it into the UK. However, it is still like gold dust. Previous Grabenwerkstatt releases have sold out extremely quickly due to the small volumes available. These are without doubt some of the most exciting wines that I have had the pleasure to work with and so I urge you to act fast so as not to miss out in what was a platinum vintage.

Freddy Bulmer
Buyer for Austria

Grabenwerkstatt Wachauwerk, Grüner Veltliner, Wachau 2019

‘Tight, tense and exciting. Really very good and obviously this has a great future.’
– Jancis Robinson MW, JancisRobinson.com

Generous but fresh and precise Austrian white wine from perhaps the most exciting new winery in the Wachau. 2019 was a 10/10 vintage but quantities remain miniscule. From 40-year-old vines from a vineyard in the Eastern Wachau, with seemingly endless layers of aroma, an alluring hint of incense, stone fruit and pepper spice. Really special.
Low stock: limited to six bottles per member

Buy now for £20

GW-AA3001

Grabenwerkstatt Grabenwerk, Grüner Veltliner, Wachau 2019

From the steep, harsh and dramatic slopes of the stunning most westerly end of Austria’s famed Wachau region comes this beautifully linear, saline and ethereal grüner veltliner. With glacial fruit, mouthwatering pepper and remarkable length on the palate, this is a true representation of the cool-climate ‘Side Valley’.
Low stock: limited to six bottles per member .

Buy now for £26

GW-AA3021

4 Likes

lol second one already gone!

That was super quick! I literally got the email 10 mins ago! Feels like a fastest fingers first kind of wine…

Both gone now. I only got the email 2 hours ago.
:frowning:
Seems the 6 bottle limit was too generous.

Both OOS.

Shame.

1 Like

They have been on the website for a while now, at least I have been contemplating a case early this week, but did not buy it in the end.

1 Like

Hi all,
I am in disbelief of how fast these sold out - I knew they wouldn’t be around long but 2 hours is unbelievable.
I am in discussion with the winery currently to see if they can free up any more stock of the Wachauwerk Gruner from any of their other export markets. I am keeping my fingers crossed and should know within the next hour or so.
Unfortunately Grabenwerk is all gone though.
I will do my best to keep you posted on here. Apologies for any initial disappointment!

10 Likes

Yes well spotted! They went live on the web at the end of last week, with the promo email going out today.

1 Like

I have just heard from the winery that luckily they can free up another small parcel of the Wachauwerk. Hopefully you should be able to place back-orders for this wine online in the next hour or so.
Apologies again that it’s disappeared so fast. Franz, Michael and myself are all in disbelief and very grateful to everyone who has shown interest in these wines.
Freddy

10 Likes

It’s now live!

3 Likes

What a rollercoaster.

3 Likes

We were also kindly alerted in this forum by @cgoldin in the small producers thread a few days back. Thanks Colin!

5 Likes

Thanks Freddy !

1 Like

Frustrating! But obviously a good buy for the WS as the wine was so popular and not too expensive for a top Wachau wine.

Same goes for the Karthäuserhofberg 2003 Spatlese which was on the list for £18. On the Christmas list which arrived yesterday and the wine was gone by the evening! Not easy for less wealthy members who can’t just order wine whenever it appears on the website.

Great that people are appreciating the wonderful wines of Austria and Germany though!

6 Likes

I left it till this morning - haven’t had Grüner Veltiner but do trust @Freddy when it comes to wine - and was charmed by the little film he made.

None left! I now feel like I’m back at school, and not one of the cool kids…

Shakes fist at sky à la Charlton Heston

6 Likes

or for those lower down the mailing order! I haven’t seen the Christmas list yet!

3 Likes

Available again it seems

2 Likes

Not for long!

2 Likes

And gone again

Although the price has increase by 30% from £20 to £26, or have I missed something?