01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Goat curry recipe

recipe

Jamaican Goat Curry (based on a Hairy Bikers’ recipe)

Serves 2-3

450gr goat shoulder meat (if you got no goat, use lamb instead)

Freshly squeezed juice of 1 lime

1 tsp dried thyme

1 tsp ground allspice

Half tsp ground cloves

Half tsp flaked sea salt

1.5 tbsp sunflower oil

1 medium onions, sliced

2-3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

1 scotch bonnet chilli, finely chopped (do not deseed)

1 tbsp medium curry powder

A can of chopped tomatoes

1 tbsp black treacle

300ml cold water

freshly ground black pepper

Method:

Trim the goat meat of any really hard fat and sinew and cut it into rough 3–4cm chunks. Put these in a medium flameproof casserole dish with the lime juice, thyme, allspice, cloves, salt and lots of ground black pepper. Mix well and leave to stand for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 180°C. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and gently fry the onions and garlic for 5 minutes, while stirring, then stir in the chillies and curry powder. Cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring constantly.

Tip the spiced onions into the casserole dish with the meat, then fry together for about 3-4 minutes until the meat is lightly coloured, stirring. Add the tomatoes and treacle, then stir in the cold water and bring to a simmer. Cover with a lid and transfer the curry to the oven.

Cook for about 2 hours or until the meat is very tender and the sauce is thick, stirring halfway through the cooking time. If your meat is very fatty, you may need to spoon some fat off the surface of the curry before you serve it. Let the curry stand for 10 minutes before serving.

Serve with Rice and peas.

We like to drink slightly ‘spicy’ reds with it - so anything with a Syrah in it is good, but I reckon any wine that works with a lamb stew would do!

Enjoy! :wink::clinking_glasses:

Recipes for wine lovers - WIKI

Thank you!! Will give this a go

Nice - Is it goat curry or curried goat? Anyone understand the nuance? Is it Asian versus Caribbean origin?

Good point. I saw Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall doing a feature on “Goat Curry” in Birmingham and he was corrected about a dozen times in 5 minutes!!

Sounds great except for the 1 tbsp of “medium curry powder”. :joy::joy::joy:

This recipe looks amazing and I’d love to try it, BUT I am more of a medium-spice girl and the idea of scotch bonnet terrifies me a bit! :see_no_evil: Can I just use regular red chilli or is this one of those ‘go hard or go home’ recipes where less spice just ruins it?

I honestly don’t think there would be any problem with reducing the fieriness of the chillies used. A regular chilli should work just as well - or you can deseed the scotch bonnet if you don’t want to unleash its full wrath :+1:

I take your point - but no reason why you can’t substitute this with a home made curry paste. Just make sure it’s a Jamaican curry paste, rather than Asian. A paste made for a Jerk Chicken should be a good substitute, methinks.

Fab, thanks @Inbar! I’ll give this a go and see how fiery I can take it! :smiley:

If you don’t like your curry too hot then keep the scotch bonnet whole and fish it out after cooking. Great and very individual flavour

Fantastic advice, thanks! :smiley: Maybe I’ll brave the scotch bonnet then…!