01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Glassware Experiments

You’re understanding of the known principles of physics does not correspond to mine in this instance.

1 Like

It sounds to me like some experimentation is needed here. It shouldn’t be too hard to find some volunteers.

Two things to take into account, perhaps. The bubbles have a standing start; and might it be a matter of perception?

Full disclosure: I am not a physicist.

Why should they accelerate?
[PS. I am only an ‘amateur physicist’.]

expansion of the bubbles leading to increased buoyancy? Or I could fall back on my astrophysics background and unequivocally say DARK ENERGY.

Edit: While I am a physicist, this is as much a guess as anything.

3 Likes

I’d expect the upwards force to loosely come from the pressure differential from the top to bottom of the bubble, and to remain largely constant (to first order) with depth, leading to acceleration until it’s matched by resistance. But I never understood fluid dynamics…

I have bought all sorts of glasses, from the ISO tasting glasses through to hand blown :sob:££ Riedel glassware.
I have blind tasted myself with thick and heavy supermarket glasses against the same wine in various Riedel glassware.
To my palate there is quite a difference, exemplified by a Blossom Hill red in a cheap (& nasty) glass against a basic Riedel. The red tasted fuller and classier out of the Riedel.
I did buy Riedel Champagne flutes, good on the eye but hopeless in use. I now use a chilled white Vinum glass for Fizz. And an XL Vinum red glass. And Dartington hand made decanters (around £10 off eBay at auction), so in my house no tears are shed these days, if decanters or glasses bite the dust!!
The one thing that does defeat me, is when I encounter coloured glasses. What a waste of money and the glassware detracts from the contents. :open_mouth:
But if consumers have a different opinion, it is their money and who am I to argue. :+1: :dragon:

You’d hate it round my gaff at Halloween :bat: :rofl:

9 Likes

Arrhhh!!! :open_mouth: :rofl: :dragon:
But I do like the wine. 2013 an underrated vintage.
I did pick this one up from the website @ £6.75 per half.!

2 Likes

Does anyone have thoughts about cut glass for wine glasses?

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :dragon:

For anyone that cares about accelerating bubbles:

4 Likes

Flashbacks to second year fluid dynamics there!

I wasn’t completely wrong, either, which is comforting.

Thank you!
A complete answer!

As I understand it then, there is an initial phase of acceleration followed by steady speed ascent through the champagne glass. Not necessarily increasing in speed all the way to the surface which somehow felt not quite right. I can now contemplate the bubbles whilst drinking my next glass of champagne relaxed in the knowledge that not everything in the world has been turned upside down. :slightly_smiling_face:

[At least till someone else posts their high speed photos on this thread showing it doesn’t quite work that way for curved champagne glasses…]

2 Likes

I ask because I’ve inherited a large collection of virtually every kind of glass you can think of - wine, brandy, tumblers etc etc, accumulated over a period at some considerable cost, and probably rarely used. There are some I will use (but not the wine glasses). The rest will probably end up in a charity shop, which seems a shame.

1 Like

I’m not a fan for wine - I’m signed up to the cult of “the thinner the better” in that regard. For spirits however I really enjoy drinking out of a lovely cut crystal glass. My recent brandy exploration has been helped in part by my partner inheriting some (barely used as they were always kept “for best” which was never!) cut glass brandy glasses. I really adds to the sense of occasion!

5 Likes

Other have answered more scientifically than I can; mine was an observation. I’ll do another observation tonight :laughing:

We’re only talking about three inches or so from the formation of the bubble to it breaking on the surface. Perhaps in a greater depth bubbles would reach a steady rate.

My point is that in a flute I can see and have a short time to enjoy the stream of bubbles rising up, which I couldn’t in the much shallower and wider coupe.

Happy to be part of it. If I send you my address will you get a mixed dozen of fizz sent to me?

2 Likes

Talking about glasses, this article published today is timely and contains the gem

At home, I have three Riedel Bordeaux glasses. I was given a set a few years back, quickly broke one, and since then rarely use them. I’m not one for conspiracy theories but manufacturers of glasses have a vested interest in making them easy to break.

Riedel me this! · Hudin

5 Likes

Do you use the skull as a drinking vessel?

5 Likes

Objects associated with “horror,” terrify me. Yes, a big girls blouse!! :open_mouth:
But I have always been that way.
I do not understand why I should pay to see a film (for e.g.) that upsets me.
And coloured glassware, detracts from the attractiveness of a wine.
There is glory in the burnished gold of a Barsac and it would be vinous vandalism to lose that by employing a crappy glass!
But every one to their own, I believe in freedom of expression so if those who like this sort of chalice, let them get on with it!! :+1: :dragon:

Don’t worry Taffy, this was just for insta, I didn’t really drink the Vacqueras from that glass.

It was Chave Hermitage

9 Likes