01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Glassware Experiments

I had some “Waitrose Essentials” Champagne flutes, which I obviously bought as a Waitrose Essentials joke, but were actually excellent and about a pound each. They managed to get destroyed on PhD graduation day.

My main driver for Champagne flutes (which will be unsurprising to anyone who’s seen my posts on the drinking threads involving fizz) is kitsch. I have a couple that were given as a birthday gift by my partner that we got when we were at Le Crazy Horse in Paris, which are a lovely shape and have the kiss motif on them, that we use when it’s just the two of us. For when there’s more than the two of us we have some LSA Polka pearlescent ones, which as @SteveSlatcher suggests, I picked up from TK Maxx for £20 for six (they usually retail at £40 for 4).

I was speaking to my sister, who hosted my parents on Christmas day. Apparently my dad managed to break four wine glasses. I may need to drag myself to Ikea and pick some of the glasses @David007 has recommended as at that breakage rate, there’s no way I’m letting him near my Zaltos (in all fairness, it runs in the family and I probably shouldn’t let me anywhere near my Zaltos either!).

6 Likes

All of them?!? Was it some kind of sacrifice or was your dad helping to celebrate?

2 Likes

All of them. The were thrown off the roof into the UCL quad about 2am.

9 Likes

My Wife is in the middle of a breaking spree and tbh there is no stopping her. Since December we have lost the 4 cup cafetiere, the one cup cafetiere, 1 x little thimble glass that came from my grandfather’s bar, a wine sampling glass that I got when we stumbled on a Rhine village wine tasting, 1 koln beer glass from the same trip, a lid for the T2 tea cup :thinking: :thinking: was there anything else yes a terracotta plant pot

6 Likes

I seem to be doing this at the moment too… Semi-consciously, I reckon, as a sort of misplaced weltschmerz :exploding_head:

3 Likes

I knocked over one of my Schotts yesterday, and it bounced off the drainer and into the sink. And it survived (I already have my hands on a wooden desk). YMMMV

3 Likes

We have a small kitchen and half size diswasher and it’s usually a pain to wash wine glasses as the only way to make that work is to do a glass only cycle. But with the stemless glasses they fit right without any fuss. That said I have to agree it makes no sense for white wine (unless you need to warm up the wine but there are better ways to do that).

1 Like

Thanks! I went to “Whitebridge Wines" website and they indeed have some very good discounts!

Literally last night I knocked my glass over; it fell on my dinner plate which I’d not yet started and covered my food with broken glass… :crazy_face: :sob:

Not sure if I was more upset about the wine (La Rosine but I had more) or my food!

2 Likes

Suppose it depends whether there was another glass left on the bottle or you were left with beans on toast for supper…

3 Likes

I quite like the Spiegelau Authentis ‘large’ tasting glass, they’re 320ml.

I really don’t like very long stemmed glasses, they end up not lasting long, (and I don’t like using them, either) and ultra-short/stemless don’t appeal much, either.

1 Like

Bit of both; I had another glass in the bottle and not quite beans on toast (which I love incidentally) but I did have to rustle up a very simple quick dinner.

1 Like

I think we can assume that the food was very happy drinking up that wine given the positive reviews I have read on here :+1: obviously us less so :triumph:

1 Like

This article might interest some of you.

3 Likes

Very educational. It seems that most members do not drink from the bottle but prefer to use a costly glass. This then needs to be washed which frequently causes it to be broken. Got it, I now just need to look up the meaning of tosh.

8 Likes

We’ve got a cupboard full of the Riedl Champagne ones, bought about 10 years ago from TK Maxx (ISTR them being nowhere near £15 each, more like £25/4), and I would agree that they’re a good all-rounder (IASTR them being listed as suitable for Cab Sauv, Sauv Blanc and Riesling).

I tend to find that the Nebbiolo-style (wide bowl) glasses express the aromas of Mediterranean varieties a little better (Nebbiolo, Xinomavro, Grenache, Nerello Mascalese etc etc) and the Pinot glasses are better for Rioja with significant age.

But most importantly, and referencing all above comments, it also almost certainly impossible to come to a definitive conclusion on something with so many variables as this subject. If one glass works for you, rejoice at the savings both of space and for your wallet, and if you have enough glasses to warrant an extension, then again, it’s not the end of the world. People are doing worse in the world right now. :smiley:

6 Likes

When serving Champagne to most people I’d use flutes - not for kitsch exactly, but because that is what most people expect, and I believe people relax if they are not distracted by non-conventional glasses. With large numbers of people they are also very practical, as they take up relatively little space on a tray or table.

But out of preference, I would use decent normal wine glasses for good Champagne. And wine buddies would probably offered a choice.

If I really wanted kitsch I’d go for coupes :slight_smile: Actually, I now think they may be preferable to flutes. When Champagne is drunk quickly in a toast or celebration, why preserve bubbles? Set them free so you can feel them on your face!

5 Likes

Them’s wise words!

2 Likes

I like seeing the bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass and rise with increasing speed to the surface. You don’t get that with a coupe.

Although I’ve not used a coupe, when I first bought wine glasses I chose flutes. They were the new controversial sparkling wine glasses being used by geeks.

Now I primarily use tulip shaped glasses, they seem to offer the benefits of a flute crossed with a wider opening and surface, and I like the shape. I note that they’re also used by many Champagne houses.

The first six I got many years ago came free with a six pack of Freixenet Black Label and have Freixenet stamped on the foot. Still got a few left of them…

But I still have a few flutes which I use and enjoy on subsequent days when we open a bottle for an aperitif.

And I buy some 50p flutes from Wilko to pack in my case when going to the Cape and leave them there. They are thick and survive the journey. I’m not a snob!

2 Likes

Hmm. This seems like an interesting aberration of known principles of physics which I hadn’t noticed before. Someone needs to investigate why the bubbles accelerate. Intuitively one would expect them to slow down as they expand from reducing depth of water (wine) pressure and thus incur more flow friction … :grin: