01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Glassware Experiments

They also sell a rabbit. I really want the rabbit!

3 Likes

Wow. I really want the rabbit too.

1 Like

I actually want the chicken

3 Likes

They are so kitsch they have gone through the other side and become stylish. My favourite is undoubtedly the octopus. Check out that ‘enveloping elegance’

2 Likes

Drawing on the collective wisdom of TWS community… favourite dessert wine glasses?

Port and Sauternes.

Go…

1 Like

Gabriel glas for me still, and if I didn’t use that then a fairly standard size/shape white wine glass. Same for sherry. Tiny ‘dessert wine glasses’ don’t make sense to me at all - port and sauternes are normally really high quality complex wines so I want to be able to appreciate them (swirl and sniff!) in the same way I would a good quality non-dessert wine.

5 Likes

I agree with this, though I’m even less fussy and would usually drink them from the same glass I use for all wine.

Incidentally, the IVPD have an official Port glass, which in size and shape is remarkably similar to an ISO. Just saying.

2 Likes

I’m looking for a bit of a steer in choosing some new glasses, this looked as good a place as any to ask without starting another thread!

My cack handedness has just broken the third of four Riedel extreme Pinot noir glasses I bought less than a year ago. So I’m looking to get something slightly less fragile. The last Riedel casualty was due to the base catching on the dishwasher door seal as the tray was pulled out and next thing I knew the bowl shattered! (Previous ones were broken while hand washing/drying) So the main criteria is something that’ll fit in our dishwasher properly.

Going on the theory that the Riedel extreme riesling is supposed to be a good all rounder (I also quite like the relatively understated shape) I’m currently tossing up between cheaper/shorter glasses of a similar shape.

Schott Zwiesel burgundy vina

Stölzle starlight white

Stölzle exquisit royal white wine

People talk about the Schott Zwiesel glasses being particularly robust, does anyone have any feel as to whether this is true? Or are they similar to other glasses of the same price point.

There’s some guff on the Stölzle website about the glasses having a pulled stem, which makes them stronger. Although all of the breakages of my Riedels have been the bowl that might be moot!

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

1 Like

I have little to compare with as I now only use SZ Viña Burgundy glasses at home - for all wines. But that means they get a lot of use.

I have had very few breakages - can’t remember the last one - and if they do break it is no disaster as it is easy to buy replacements at a reasonable price. They have survived knocks that I was afraid might have caused damage.

I just put them with plates etc in normal diswasher cycles, and have never seen any clouding over many years. They have acquired the odd white line mark somehow, which I presume has been due to abrasion against other things in the diswasher, but I’m not sure about the cause and they don’t bother me.

I also think they are good to drink out of - a similar size and shape to the old work-horse glass, the Riedel Vinum Riesling/Chianti, but lighter, and IMO more pleasant to hold. And a lot cheaper!

Have you considered stemless glasses. I also have some Riedel Os, which I mainly use if I want to take glasses with me somewhere, or for in the garden. I like them, and they are particularly easy to fit into dishwashers. Might be worth getting a couple to see how you get on with them. I also like them for G&Ts

1 Like

I wouldn’t say these Spiegelau are stronger but I really think they are terrific value and give loads of pleasure. They were £30 a pair and I specially use the burgundy glass often. It goes in the dishwasher every time, no breakages so far.

2 Likes

Thanks, I am starting to lean towards the Vina Burgundy, good to know they might stand up to my fists of ham!

I’ve actually got a couple of Dartington stemless stemless glasses I got from a Laithwaites offer. I know that they’re absolute anathema to a number of people but I actually find them quite pleasingly casual, whilst still allowing a good swirl! Our large ice ball moulds don’t fit in though so we’ve got some big g&t copas. The stemless glasses are also good for when lounging on the sofa I find. Do you have any thoughts on the various Riedel O glasses? I think I’ve heard some find the bigger ones a bit awkard to hold.

1 Like

… If you’ve got small hands the larger ones we have (Cab and Sriraz) can be. We tend to use those larger ones mainly for G&T, and the smaller Chard/Viognier ones for wine as they are handier to carry to another venue.

What even I, with large hands, notice though, is that they are all more difficult to swirl than glasses you can hold by the stems. The wine will swirl round the glass fine, but you need more wrist/arm action, especially with the larger ones.

We also have Dartington stemless white wine glasses, which are a similar size and shape to the Riedel Chard/Viogniers. They feel a lot heavier and clunky than the Riedels - they must be more robust, but I much prefer the feel of the Riedels for drinking.

I think stemless are fine in general, and am not bothered by the fingermarks on the bowl that upset some people. Maybe I keep my fingers cleaner at the table than some :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. And if you only hold your glass when you drink, you won’t warm your wine much.

Having said that, I do prefer stems if convenient, and as mentioned before, SZ Burgs are what we use when drinking wine at home. For red, white and fizzy

1 Like

I was all ready to press the button on the Zwiesels but then I saw these, which really do look rather pretty

Lehmann Absolus red wine 46cl

Definitely fit my size and price criteria, although they do look rather delicate in the pictures. Decisions decisions :thinking:. (And no, I don’t have room for a set of both :joy:)!

The benefit of training as a chemist, I’ve not yet met a glass vessel I can’t swirl! With the possible exception of a Paris goblet I suppose, they tend to get messy

3 Likes

Another factor you might like to bear in mind is how long a particular model is likely to be around for - for replacements. It’s difficult to predict of course, but the Schotts have been around for many (he says vaguely) years.

Remove that criterion and IMO there are plenty of decent quality very cheap alternatives. In fact, I think there are good arguments for getting glasses from the Aldi specials aisle, and replacing the whole set if there are breakages or dishwasher clouding and the same ones are no longer available. John Lewis also used to be a good place to find decent-looking own-brand and lesser-known brand glasses. Maybe not for you @DrDave, nor me actually, but I wouldn’t scoff at the idea.

We do this for our garden glasses. We found a set in Sainsbury’s which I think may even be Habitat branded. Gone through 3 or 4 but no matter bought another set of 6 to replace. They’re ridiculously cheap for how pleasurable they are to drink out of and how nice they look.

2 Likes

Let me throw Gabriel Glas into the ring…haven’t looked back since getting a pair!

3 Likes

Yeah back round again - absolutely love mine. The gold ones don’t make it into the garden much though!

1 Like

They are undeniably beautiful, although somewhat out of the budget I’ve set myself as I want to be able to replace the inevitable breakages relatively easily. I’ve not seen anything that’s convinced me that glasses really make a perceptible difference to the taste of wine. Once you’ve got a decent size, with a relatively thin rim and enough space to swirl properly, the rest is just aesthetics. Not that that’s a bad reason for buying something, especially if it increases your enjoyment of the whole experience.

What I have noticed looking around is that that kind of shape, with the bowl flaring out relatively dramatically and then narrowing gently towards the top seems to appear more on the higher end glasses (Gabriel glas, zaltos, Jancis etc.). I wonder if it’s a more difficult/expensive shape to make.

3 Likes

I doubt it’s the shape itself. Spiegelau does a similar shaped glass for around a tenner each.

Hand-blown rather than machine-made makes a big difference to the price, some raw materials must be more expensive, and I guess making thinner glass adds cost.

Beyond that, I think positioning in the market has a huge effect on price. If manufacture costs a bit more, you inevitably reduce the size of your market, and thus lose economies of scale you might otherwise have. Also, I wouldn’t go so far as to say the very expensive glass brands are veblen goods, but I do think the high price does add to the exclusivity and desirability to an extent.

1 Like