01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Giro d'Italia 2020

Saturday!

I am torn between cyclists I like and the national pride of Geraint Thomas (ostensibly) leading Ineos. It looks like a gruelling race and also has 3 time trials, so could be pretty nuts!

3 Likes

Almost a course written for G!

Couple of times over 2700 meters towards the end of October - hope we don’t see a repeat of last year’s end to the TdF. I’d make sure to be wearing the Maglia Rosa before hitting the high mountain passes.

Then again, maybe we’ll see some young guns showing how it’s done. I’m rooting for G, but at the end of the day all I want is some exciting racing!

2 Likes

I checked the route for the first time today and had the same thoughts. Especially the stage over the Stelvio in the final week.

Naturally I’ll be shouting for Geraint and for Simon Yates too but, yes, some exciting racing will do me just fine.

On the wine front, there’s a lot of scope for bottles to be broached to pair with the racing. The climb up Mt Etna in the first week certainly grabbed my attention !

2 Likes

Trying my hardest not to start drinking mid afternoon these days :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, it looks like I might be on a slippery slope too in that respect !

2 Likes

is it only on Eurosport in the UK ?

It’s on S4C too.

Edit- not sure if it’s Welsh language only though.

and S4C is on BBC Iplayer !

just hope the agreement allows for streaming and catch-up :crossed_fingers:

now to get my cousin to teach me welsh in a crash course !

1 Like

Also a highlights programme at 7pm each night on Quest (channel 4 on freeview) :smile:

2 Likes

12 on Freeview!! Muppet moment!

1 Like

Giro Roadbook available here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ex8yX8Ldf402dhPQZccg7_fT1-kqO8qx

2 Likes

Thank you! I was struggling to find it on anything I could watch apart from S4C on iPlayer. Now got the highlights on ‘record whole series’:+1:

1 Like

I’m not sure I like time trials as the first stage, but it was an interesting start, and they’ve managed to spruce up Palermo a bit since I was last there!

My welsh being fluent if rusty came in handy!

3 Likes

Scary TT for some riders, questionable course and condition of road at 100 km/h speeds!

Differences between GC contenders rather ominous on Day 1.

2 Likes

my sons comment - on having to watch two afternoons of welsh language Giro - “they have a lot of words the same as in English”

Isn’t it amazing that children pick up on so much whilst multitasking…he was either playing on a tablet, reading or playing cards as it was on - I didn’t realise he was paying so much attention

4 Likes

Two days in and a few points

1. Sicily is definitely on the to visit list now
  2. TT on day one…not sure i’m a fan
  3. Sagan was empty on the second stage…was 4km uphill just too much ?
2 Likes

Well. That’s made things a little more interesting.

1 Like

Also a comedy result in Liege-Bastogne-Liege men’s race and a brilliant solo win for Lizzie Deignan in the women’s!

2 Likes

Jubilation, endurance and heartbreak - a day in the life of the Giro!

1 Like

:astonished:

1 Like