01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Giro 2021 Thread

Just realised it’s stage 7 already. Little known Molise region today, but happily TWS comes up trumps with this one …

I hope the climb near the finish stretches out any big group sprint on today’s stage, otherwise the technical run-in could cause problems for some.

4 Likes

Had just backed Merlier to win stage then heard he had an issue !!!

1 Like

Yes. Maybe not dwell on his problems :grimacing: Good stage that.

1 Like

Yesterday’s stage was fabulous to watch ( apart from Pieter Seery getting rear ended and punted off his bike by the EF team car ) both racing and scenery-wise. As was the weather affected stage 4. It’s a shame Landa, and others, were so badly injured on Wednesday though, eek.

Still, really looking forward to the rest of the race, the summit finish on Monte Zoncolan on stage 14 and the climbs over Passo(s) Fedaia, Pordoi and Giau on stage 16 especially,

No doubt, quite a bit of Italian wine will be consumed here too, over the next two weeks, whilst taking in the action :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I reckon the driver of the EF car should be ejected from the race. If my memory serves me right a rider was punted over a fence into a field a couple of years ago and the driver was thrown out.

1 Like

I recall that happening on the TDF, it was a motorcycle with a cameraman on pillion. Nasty stuff.

1 Like

Yes you are right, thought it was a car.

He has been - it’s one of the BikeExchange Team Directeur Sportives. Shocking incident, and a miracle the rider did not end up in hospital.

3 Likes

Quick preview for S8 mostly pinched from the excellent Inrng site - Fans of Southern Italian wines please look away now. This is as far South Giro reaches this year and it’s still North of Napoli! The race heads into the Matese, a hilly part of the Apennines and towards a finish in Guardia Sanframondi with a tough climb past the olive groves. Might be day for a breakaway as the GC contenders will be mindful of Ski (slope) Sunday the day after.

Any thoughts on accompanying local favourites would be must welcome.

4 Likes

And rightly so. Although the crash happened when a rain jacket was being exchanged between the passenger of the team car and a race officials car at the time the driver should have had his eyes on the road. Even more so at the start of the final climb when riders will naturally be falling back from the peloton after their days work is done. Inexcusable really considering the driver would have been an ex-pro himself. And a timely reminder to me how vulnerable cyclists can be on our open roads, let alone a closed one as per yesterday. Scary stuff indeed.

It put me in mind of J-A Flecha being clipped by a car resulting in him and Johnny Hoogerland being punted off their bikes, through a barbed wire fence and into a field in the TDF in 2011 ( had to check the facts online, my memory isn’t that prodigious ). Despite Hoogerland’s horrific injuries as a result he still finished the stage.

Apparently, and tragically, that incident still haunts and affects him physically and mentally to this day.

2 Likes

Ah that was my memory, @Ieuanf thought it was a motorbike. I mentioned this further up the thread.

1 Like

The Giro’s website handily gives ‘drinks’ advice for every stage !

San Severo Rosato, which is new to me, Nero di Troia and Cacc 'e Mmitte, which aren’t, being appropriate for stage 8.

3 Likes

I suspect my memory is faulty and this is the incident: https://youtu.be/Gd_wWuMBysc. You were quite right my apologies.

1 Like

Astonishingly, Tommy Voeckler just about managed to avoid getting caught up in the crash, rolling his eyes at what had just happened and then went on to take enough time to take the yellow jersey (or ‘jumper’ as Ned Boulting called it eons ago :slight_smile:) Cavendish went on to win his 3rd Champs Elysee sprint I believe. A great Tour de France.

2 Likes

Good to remember Cav in Paris, but overall so pleased for Cafel Evans that yr. Stand out moment would be Pierre Rolland’s S19 victory on the Alpe. Epic

1 Like

Anyone have any thoughts on Romain Bardet. Thought he was going well, fancy him to pop up with a stage win.

He seems to be in good shape, I certainly wouldn’t bet against him getting a stage win. I guess it depends on what his ambitions are though, stage wins or a top 10 finish on GC ?

If it’s the former, and he has the legs to attack, and if the other GC riders in the top 10 are marking one another out and don’t see him as a threat, they might just give him enough rope to take a stage on a summit finish. Or one with a quick descent to the line after the final climb. Of course, other riders with designs on a stage win will have similar ideas.

If he shipped more time on GC, before the high mountain stages, maybe getting into the days breakaway could provide an opportunity too.

As always in cycling, there are so many ifs and buts but that’s what makes it so exciting ( to my mind at least ).

1 Like

@Steve_Holdsworth. Apologies for missing the blindingly obvious yesterday. Any wine from this co-op would have been perfect for today…

…their Aglianico actually comes from Guardia Sanframondi !

1 Like

Good thing about stages like these is you sort of get two races in one day :grinning:

I don’t normally follow cycling, but I am led to believe that a young Hungarian rider has temporarily taken the pink jersey. Is he wearing the white jersey under the pink one?

2 Likes