01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Generation Wine events - what do you want to see at future tastings?

Hi everyone!

We’ve been trialling a new type of tasting format - more informal, quirky and experimental tastings to appeal to younger (and older!) members amongst all our usual types of events, and we’ve called these tastings Generation Wine. Here’s an explanation if you’re not familiar:

They’ve been going well so far - here’s a roundup of what happened at the last one, at Kachette in Shoreditch. Yep, we did temporary Wine Society tattoos…

What I want to know is:

• Who’s been to one, and what did you think?

• What would you like to see at future tastings? Any ideas for themes, venues, and ways to spice the tastings up?

All ideas welcome - unleash those opinions!

I was pouring at Kachette and will be again at the Truman Brewery so am excited to see how/if it has changed now it’s the second one and we’ve got experience to go on. I liked how buzzy and fresh it felt as a tasting compared to the more serious ones at Merchant Taylor’s for example, I’d say the majority had a great time and even members who were not necessarily in the target age range seemed to really enjoy the different style which I think is encouraging in showing that the current membership are open and flexible to throwing changes and a bit of a new dynamic for events into the mix. I think putting the Generation Wine tastings across the country as well would be good, obviously depending on interest and practicality but I think they’d also prove popular in places like Sheffield, Bristol, Manchester etc.

I like how we do a few wine and food matching events/workshops but maybe something like an actual cooking workshop or go all out and make it a weekend where the attendees cook a menu that we’ve selected particular wines for. And then drink the wines too obviously!

Sounds ghastly but I don’t think I form part of the target audience.

What I’d like to see:

more structured tastings - like the Alsace/Syrah recently

less unstructured tastings like ‘25 random wines for Christmas’, or ‘wines our buyers like’.

I’d say choose your audience and possibly extend it to non ws members and ask local knowledge for a decent venue such as northern monk brewery or a decent hipster bar.

In terms of a standard informal walkround I’d have little talks about a few standout wines or the evening’s theme (e.g. next week’s york fine wine) - what determines the fine wine category, what differentiates it from cult or boutique wine, which countries do it best etc? Maybe even a question time panel or q&a with a grower? Just more engagement as often outside of stevenage this is the only contact we get with other wine buffs!! And people who can actually listen to us :slight_smile:

I would like a tutored tasting which examined wine faults - an expert guide through the various pitfalls we might encounter; ideally it would pair two similar wines, one with no faults and one with a particular fault so that the compare and contrast was made very clear.

Is that an odd idea?

It’s prompted by opening a bottle of this:

It was the only one I had, and was undrinkable and I therefore have no benchmark against which to compare it precisely.

Furthermore when my wife asked me why I was not going to serve it over dinner I was not sure how to describe what was wrong with it and realized how easily confused I am by the wine fault terminology.

When I was growing up if something was wrong with a wine it was automatically described as corked - now we have a whole array of words and terms. What do they all mean in practice? What do they all smell and taste like?

Big shame as Suazet wines are great normally!

A post was merged into an existing topic: Does choice of closure affect your EP selections?

I think a tasting on wine faults would be really interesting and valuable to lots of people. The main issue I can see is the logistics of the thing as many faults are pretty much random it would be pretty tricky to ensure that there were bottles that displayed cork taint, premox, excess sulphur etc all at the same time.

It could perhaps be done though utilising a scent kit as there are some available on the market that particularly showcase wine faults.

https://www.lenez.com/en/kits/wine/faults

reviving this thread as we now have a new series of these events and a new homepage for them too:

So the Bottlmless Brunch event for London sold out in a couple of days and the Brighton event is selling well.

Our wine dinners have also been popular however there is no doubt they cost a lot of money and are prohibitive to many. Would people be interested in us expanding the format of the brunch - a workshop followed by a more relaxed meal to lunches and dinners?

If you were to attend something like this what sort of price would you be willing to pay?

Both events are in the south. Is that because you are based in the south and/or you have more sales or members in the south?

The question is hypothetical for me since I’d be amazed to see such an event in Birmingham.

@Richard a combination of all of the above but largely due to number of members and sales. Especially when trialling new things it makes sense to do so in areas where we know there is a demand and tickets will sell. But as I’ve said previously I’m attempting to expand the number of regional events and adapt themes and formats to give as many members the chance to engage with the Society as possible. To that end I’ve booked 2 venues in the Northern half of the UK for workshop-brunches this week for the next period of events and now looking to see what other formats may work.

So never say never Richard. Although attendance at the last two Birmingham events was underwhelming I’m hoping new communication methods and other strategies will allow us to be more experimental in a greater range of locations.

Say ‘leeds’ :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

Not at this stage unfortunately.

If you can get the Northern Monk Beer Launch to sell out it will make a more compelling case for us to return sooner.

Oooooo sounds like a plan :slight_smile: