01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Friday challenge - wines for dinner

This weekend, Mrs M and I are treating ourselves to the Dine at Home box from The Owl in Leeds. This is the menu:

Would love some suggestions as to what to drink. We can’t think of one wine to straddle pork, trout and liquorice :smiley: so please treat it as a challenge to go wild …

I’ll try to match what you suggest to what I actually have in the house!

3 Likes

I can do several suggestions that’d hit two out of three. (e.g. a white bordeaux/young viognier for the first two or a more elegant syrah/shiraz for the pork and the venison).

For all three I think we’re into the standard Alsace Pinot Blanc or a Cru Beaujolais being the least offensive across all three. Or you could smash a couple of bottles of champagne each and be done with it!

3 Likes

Definitely Alsace.

2 Likes

Three votes for Alsace… And I would go for a slightly off dry Pinot Gris. Some have a warm note of baking spices, which can work well with liquorice. It’ll definitely work with the pork/apple, and the trout. At a stretch, it might work with dessert too :grinning:
Really tempted to open a PG myself, this weekend now!

The other Alsace that comes to mind is this lovely PN:

Again, I can see it working with all three courses.

3 Likes

If it’s one wine, it’s Alsace, and I’m probably with Inbar for a slightly off dry Pinot Gris. Alternatively, I had a rather good NZ Gruner Veltliner last week which was a bit softer than the Austrian ones.

An Alsace Gewurz would also probably work well with smoked eel/pork and cured sea trout. You would probably want one on the drier side, but then for the venison maybe a bit more off dry? How about a German Spatlese too?

5 Likes

I clearly have to back up @Inbar and @markc, and suggest off-dry Alsace pinot gris :slight_smile: A touch of smoke could pick out the eel, and the right one will have a drying and slightly tannic bite to the finish which will mean it’s not overpowered by the meat. Supremely versatile (and I will be opening one later with smoked fish)

Alternatively, yes, light red such as Beaujolais or pinot noir. If you have one, you might consider the Thymiopoulos Jeunes Vignes Xinomavro. It worked well for us with red mullet the other week, but it could also handle the liquorice in the sauce, I think - it’s got some of those notes too.

6 Likes

You’re all brilliant!

@strawpig - the temptation to open two bottles of fizz is proving unnerving, even at lunchtime. A case of the Saumur Rose arrived last week, so that might be a good place to start.

@Inbar - I thought I had your exact wine for a moment, but it turns out the Trimbach Pinot Blanc has the same red cap as the Pinot Noir! Still, that’s fairly close, and for @MarkC there’s a Trimbach Gewurz sitting next door in the rack. Choices, choices …

@robertd - thank you, and yes, we’ve got one remaining bottle of the Thymoipoulos. Incidentally, any experience of this? It’s absolutely scrumptious, and a notch up from the Jeunes Vignes. I feel as if it might be a good alternative.

4 Likes

Will let the others do the wine, just wanted to say the menu looks absolutely delicious. Enjoy!

2 Likes

No specific experience of that Kir Yianni wine, but I suspect it will be somewhat akin to the Thymiopoulous Terra Petra, and if it’s anything like as good as that it will be a hit. I think that the Xinomavro would do fine with some of the above, but may be a little light for venison.

Wondering where they are getting sea trout (legally I hope!) at this time of year. Might be the Tweed/Berwickshire nets? Only place I can think of.

2 Likes

I haven’t had the Kir-Yianni wine either, but agree about the Terra Petra, which is just lovely. I know what you mean about the lightness of the Jeunes Vignes with venison, but that’s always going to be a challenge with a wine that also goes with cured sea trout. Back to pinot gris, then, obviously!

4 Likes

Yes, I think it’s easier to pick a single white than a single red. If it were two bottles, I’d go for Alsace White and a Rhone red probably.

1 Like

I would think about a full flavoured champagne - Krug perhaps to match the first too courses floowed by a Chocolate Block from South Africa, which might even cope with desert.

2 Likes

Kali Riza is nice, a bit more structured than the young vine Thymiopoulos, but lighter than the Earth and Sky Naoussa. Amyndeon wines tend to be more fine boned than Naoussa. I had the bottle early this year and have another to keep for a time.

if its a treat:

pork terrine and smoked eel - Gruner or Pinot gris

sea trout - Chardonnay that has seen a little oak and a little age

Deer - Cabernet france…loire

Cake - alka seltzer

Whatever…enjoy ! …i’ve got a burger as its son’s choice for dinner tonight !

2 Likes

Well, I think this is what we’re going for:

@MarkC - I collected this afternoon and should have asked about the trout. Short answer is Kirkgate Market in Leeds (The Owl is inside the market and gets the produce from local vendors), but I don’t know where it came from before then …

11 Likes

Looks like a good result there @Martyn - let us know how the wines go and how the food looks - sounds like a top evening in store.

Excellent choices, @Martyn! (Mmm… Cab Franc :heart_eyes:)- hope you have a special meal :+1:

Thanks :smiley: I think we’re going long with the virtual ballet and a four course meal.

Oh, and the kids in the background :frowning:

3 Likes

Hope you enjoy it!

It’s a bit late now, but if you want something with the dessert, there’s very little that won’t be blown away by a ganache. But try a southern French fortified wine based on Grenache noir. Maury is the classic, but the other ones (Rivesaltes etc) will work. Be aware that some use grapes other than Grenache, which may not work so well.

1 Like

I basically agree.

I tasted the Kali Riza 2012, at about the same age, and thought the tannins were really powerful, and that it really could do with a few more years ageing. I also noted that it had some caramel note, which I usually see as a negative, but otherwise liked it. I would prefer to drink a wine with food before pronouncing on it, but I think your comments chime with my limited experience.

And what you say about Amydeon wines is certainly the usual view of people, though I couldn’t confirm or deny from personal experience.

One for the venison rather than the other two courses, I should think.

1 Like