01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

FREE Online webinars (non TWS) w/b 18 may

I have really enjoyed the extra learning opportunities afforded by these webinars. I have pulled together a list for next week, if it is well liked by members I will continue to do so. Explanation can be found in last weeks’ post: Timetable for Non TWS on-line tastings w/b 11 May
Please feel free to edit, I will make it a WIKI.
:grinning:
The links are:

67 Pall Mall events
London WSET

Others
Tim Atkin MW
Jimmy Smith from West London Wine School

Date TWS 67PallMall London WSET Others
Monday 18 May 5pm Riesling Rocks 12am Clonakilla with winemaker
4pm Cool Chile
6pm The New Order of Spanish Sparkling Wine
8pm The red wines of the Hamilton Russell Family properties
Tuesday 19 May 1pm Lunch with a buyer: Tim Sykes
6pm Severine Schlumberger of Domaines Schlumberger, Alsace
12am Alsatian Domaine Barmès Buecher
2pm Introduction to Catalonia Wine Region
4pm Blank Bottle – ‘It’s true, we do judge a book by its cover’
6pm Classic Piedmont with Matthew Jukes
6pm Discover Sherry
Wednesday 20 May 7pm Christina Wess of Rainer Wess, Austria 12am Waterkloof with Louis Boutinot and Richard Hemming MW
4pm Grenache & Garnacha from around the world
6pm New Zealand – Personal Favourites
7pm Cupano
6pm Cheese and wine pairing
Thursday 21 May 8pm #TWSTaste: Virtual tasting: Australian opulence 12am Penfolds
4pm Islands making waves in the wine world
6pm Rioja with Tim Atkin MW
7:30pm A journey through the vines of San Leonardo
8pm Heitz Cellar
8:15pm The Tasting Room Quiz
Friday 22 May 5:30pm ‘Virtual Tasting Room’ (Instagram Live) 12am Overview of Chablis terroirs
4pm Discovering Tokaj & Furmint
6pm An Eastern Mediterranean Odyssey
7:30pm Discover the wines of Vérité
8pm Summer drinking in Spain
Saturday 23 May 12am Leewin Estate – The Art of Fine Wine
2pm Gin Tasting – The £3 billion juggernaut
4pm Burgenland – from white and red to the magic of botrytis
6pm 2015 Red Burgundy: a candidate for an ‘All Time Great’?
8pm The Barolo Boys Online
Sunday 24 May 12am Bekkers wine
2pm French Alps indigenous grape focus and discussion
4pm A tale from Melbourne to Burgundy
6pm Appreciating the differences between Bordeaux vintages through the red wines of Château Brown
8pm Arnot-Roberts Tour of California
8 Likes

Has anyone ordered the wine samples that accompany the tasting from 67PallMall? This may be a strange question but are they full bottles of each option?

1 Like

I haven’t bought any, but there was a discussion here about them

The events vary in style, 67 Pall Mall is able to provide the wines, see discussion here Lockdown TWS probably has the greatest range of events: Q&As, tastings, masterclasses.

1 Like

Thanks for the link! I was intrigued what they meant by ‘sample’ and could not easily find the info.

1 Like

I believe they’re 75ml (i.e. half a small glass/taster sized) samples. I’d suggest costing them out before you dive in. While some are reasonable for what you get, or the wines are otherwise impossible to buy, some are priced such that you could get full sized bottles of the wine.

If you want ones with full sized bottles, the WSET and West London Wine School ones are, and also both have very good deals on Coravin.

1 Like

yes exactly. For some I thought ‘wow that is great value for 6 bottles’. Quickly followed by a high level of suspicion…

3 Likes

I am finding it remarkably inconsistent. The Blank Bottle one you could easily pick up all five wines for very close to the price they were charging for the tasters, while others are are (while eye-wateringly expensive!) remarkably reasonable.

2 Likes

No. They are decanted into small bottles of just 1 glass of wine.

2 Likes

Last week 67 Pall Mall held an excellent seminar by Richard Hemming MW on How to find the world’s best value wines

How to find the world’s best value wines

When asked for advice on selecting wine merchants for great value wines, he replies, “In the UK it’s The Wine Society. They are hands down the best value merchant.”
(0:53)

He also lists and tastes this as a very good value wine, as we all know!

9 Likes

Shhhh, don’t tell @Taffy-on-Tour! :wink: :rofl:

4 Likes

@Jithotw
@MikeFranklin

Ha - bleedin’ - ha!! :wink: :grinning:
I still have one bottle of the 2012 in reserves.
The photo though is of the 2011, which I also throated in industrial volumes! :open_mouth:
It’s yer duty! :wink: :wink:

2 Likes

I do think that the 2016 Guigal CdR is maybe the best since the 1980’s.
I recall one vintage that had the strong and quite delicious aroma of Northern Rhone Syrah.
In those days, the Guigal’s would bolster their CdR with declassified wines from across their emerging Kingdom, that CdR was like winning the wine lottery!! :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:
You could hardly believe your luck.

3 Likes

Being 4 hours behind the UK, I use the WS YouTube channel to catch up with the tastings. Unfortunately, I cannot try the wines but … Christina Wess of Rainer Wess, Austria this morning

3 Likes

That was a lovely session! :+1::grinning:
And well done for combining it with some exercise…!

2 Likes

Chapeau!

1 Like

Porque - hay mucho más seguridad en mi casa que la calle aquí. Everyone thinks they are a racing driver here! Of course, they have had some very good ones.

3 Likes