01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

For the discussion of Rioja

Well, the Contino Reserva 939 2019 is now on sale at a similar price to last year EP (£99/6 IB)
https://www.thewinesociety.com/en-primeur/contino-939-reserva-rioja-2019

3 Likes

I got a case of the Bosconia too, I’m firmly of the opinion that the 2010’s in Rioja represent a vintage of a lifetime, and as such I’ve gone heavy on them. All the ones I’ve tried so far have all supported the theory (confirmation bias? :grinning: ), so I’d say buy pretty much anything 2010 with supreme confidence, and it’ll probably work out ok.

4 Likes

Not from 2010, but the Hermanos Pecina GR is lovely stuff at just under 30 euros for the 2011. Traditional in style. I personally find Tondonia a tad austere for me.

1 Like

Not just similar price to last year – but same price as the 935 (2015) and 936 (2016), +/- £1 per six.

The end of the drinking window was given as 2031 for the 935; and 2032 for the 936. The 939 is also given as 2032.

What are they like?

Still in TWS storage…

1 Like

Am contemplating opening a trail bottle of López de Haro Classica Gran Reserva, Rioja 2004 with some BBQ pork today. Max temp here 27C today so fairly comfortable and perhaps not too hot for a red. I usually double decant most reds but am wary of doing so with a 2004 and wondered what others thought…18 years isn’t so long for a rioja so is either nose or palate likely to be fragile?

I haven’t had this one, but recent experience with 2001 CNVE GR was that it was still incredibly fresh, and benefitted from a gentle decant - it then continued to evolve (positively) over the course of a few hours.

However, it migh be worth opening in advance and pouring yourself a small glass to see how it reacts before commiting?

3 Likes

Not had the 2004 but the 2001s I’ve had didn’t need decanting at all

1 Like

I would consider a gentle decant to separate from the sediment. At least that’s what I plan for mine. However I suspect it still has a good few years left in it and I doubt if it’s going to be particularly fragile at this stage.

I’d also agree with @MattH; I had the 2001 last year and it was still quite fresh and lasted me for my usual several days of drinking with no issues.

3 Likes

That is a terrific idea. Thanks all, sound advice as ever

1 Like

Has anybody had their order for Tondonia 2010 fulfilled? Still shows as “in progress” on ‘my orders’. The wine is currently showing as out of stock :thinking:

Yes my current order includes one and it is now showing as done and I’ve had notification that DHL have my parcel from TWS.

1 Like

That’s good to know thank you Sir!

1 Like

I have the same and called TWS yesterday- if they’re going to reserves the order status should be updated by the 20th, apparently

2 Likes

Mine arrived today. Ordered from wishlist before arrival.

1 Like

Great cheers all