01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Foodbox directory

Given the appreciation for Aktar’s monster curry box, I thought I’d start a wiki of foodboxes that I’ve spotted in lockdown. This is obviously heavily influenced by where I am in the country and/or what I’ve spotted online. We haven’t ordered from all of these (due to price, availability, preference, or a combination), but it’s been good to have something to look forward to this year - we’ve ordered one or two boxes per month.

Is this the way forward for restaurants? Quite possibly. In fact, this list was prompted by an email from Aktar’s GM this morning saying that selling the ‘at home’ boxes has enabled them to pay staff and avoid redundancies, which for independents is a great result. I also appreciate the chance to eat food from restaurants that - even in normal times - are too far away to easily visit. It does create waste, and the ‘fine dining’ options in particular do seem to use a lot of plastic. We’ve made a deliberate choice to steer away from restaurants that don’t supply in eco-friendly packaging, but often it’s difficult to know what will arrive.

Please add to this list - it would be great to see it tripled in size!

Nationwide delivery

‘Fine dining’

& Home (Kitchen Table) by James Knappett

Hawksmoor Christmas box

The Black Swan by Tommy Banks

The Owl, Leeds

Haar by Dean Banks

Northcote

Antona

Simon Rogan (one of the few places offering single-person options)

Adam Handling

Adam Reid (seems to be on hold temporarily)

Italian

Bocca di Lupo

Padella

Asian

Aktar @ Home

Gymkhana, Brigadiers, Trishna

Dishoom

Zaap Thai (NB ready meals rather than foodboxes)

Hoppers

BBQ/burgers/hotdogs/bagels

Smokestak

Patti & Bun

Bubble Shop (bubble dogs) (also grower Champagne!)

Monti’s Deli

Middle Eastern

Arabica

Ottolenghi (London only, some options nationwide)

Gauthier

Seafood

Simply Oysters (NB arrives raw, i.e. food supply rather than foodboxes, but I figure with oysters that’s close to the same thing anyway)

https://www.ethicalshellfishcompany.co.uk/ - Hand dived scallops, creel caught lobster, langos, and crab, decent oysters. Supplier to some excellent restaurants across the UK but now doing home deliveries in Edinburgh & Glasgow. Not cheap but the best seafood never is.

Local to Leeds/York area (i.e. collect only)

Matt Healy at The Foundry, Leeds

Skosh. York

Vice & Virtue, Leeds

The Swine that Dines, Leeds

Manchester

https://www.eatwellmcr.org/

Birmingham

Peel’s On Wheels (Peel’s At Hampton Manor) - Quite limited to Birmingham City surrounding areas I believe

There are also several more on the Dishpatch directory, although these do all seem to be London-based (and therefore London-priced): https://dishpatch.co.uk/directory For some reason, ordering via this route feels less helpful to the restaurants - like ordering books on Amazon - but that impression might be completely misguided.

13 Likes

Nice work.

For those in London, this is useful:

https://www.hot-dinners.com/food-drink-delivery-takeaway-eating-in-london-uk-restaurants

4 Likes

We have aBocca Di Lupa box coming on Friday.
First time for a restaurant box. Got free delivery by sharing with friends and we’ll have a zoom contacted dinner, I think.

1 Like

I really want to order the Dishoom bacon naan kit and have done since Lockdown #1 but I keep spending so much money every month I really shouldn’t.

2 Likes

Thanks - I’d forgotten Bocca di Lupo, so I’ve added it to the wiki. Would love to see how it works out for you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The Bocca di Lupp box has arrived. Looking very good.

6 Likes

I’m very jealous!

Hmmm that packet of lamb looks a bit beige. :wink:

Have added a Manchester site to the wiki. Does a few different meal boxes from local restaurants plus veg/meat boxes. Plus it’s got a charitable element providing meals to people. Can recommend the cook at home noodle kits as easy and delicious.

2 Likes

I have also added Birmingham. Added Peel’s as that’s what I’m having next week for my Birthday ! was going to go for Aktar@home seeing as though I was supposed to be going to Opheem for it but might get that another time.

1 Like

It’s served with potatoes!

1 Like

Just had an email from Hawksmoor - their save Christmas box so added that (fine dining, couldn’t see steak)

3 Likes

A very beige box for us this weekend too :slight_smile:

This from The Owl, as linked above. Crazy good value at £55 for two, although we’re close enough for local collection to save the delivery charge. And we get free kindling for the fire!

4 Likes

We ordered the Tommy Banks “Signature” box. Here’s a photo of the remains

To keep on theme, we had a bottle of Leoville-Poyferre 2001 with our beef wellington :slight_smile:

6 Likes

For those living between Southampton and Portsmouth, I’ll propose Chef Gary

He delivers for an additional fee. We’ve tried most of their fine dining options. The curry box fed two people for two nights!
1 Like

Have added James Knappett. 11 courses tonight, will need to get an early start :joy:

9 Likes

Wow! Looks quite the task. I’d wish you good luck, but I’m sure you’re up to it.

I don’t think I have enough crockery for 11 courses!

2 Likes

not the hotdog box then?

1 Like

Have had the hotdog box a couple times and would recommend it!

1 Like

Rumour has it they’re not reopening the hot dogs bit and will just be using the whole site for Kitchen Table when they reopen. It’d already stopped being a kitchen table, but I really liked the hotdogs!