01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Food for Alsace whites

A recent inbetweeners offer of 2010 Alsace reminded me I bought a case back in 2012 and squirreled it away!

I think it’s about time I got on with drinking them. But I need some food suggestions.

Having Moroccan Harrisa chicken tonight - potential match for one of these you think?

I can probably find links to the individual wines if that helps. below!

6 Likes

Yeah. This is my issue with Alsace wines, and the main reason i don’t buy more.

Harissa is unknown in Morocco, btw (for academic interest, I’m sure the chicken is delicious :smile:)

Indeed, I find them absolutely delicious but I feel wasted on their own and I can never think what to cook.

I’m just reading the packet but a fair comment :crazy_face:

It’s a Tunisian or Algerian thing. Though in this country they seem quite content to conflate all cuisines from Morocco to Lebanon… Moroccan falafel, anyone? :rofl:

Just bought a Schlumberger PG 2010 last week, in fact… hence my dilemma :roll_eyes:

1 Like

For a chicken harissa recipe - just my opinion but I think the Alsace wine wont be a good match (shame because I really like harissa) - possibly instead a Cote de Provence rose?

For a dish suitable for Alsace wines try this: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2015/apr/29/how-to-cook-perfect-coq-au-riesling-recipe

Watch out for the lardons - they can add a fair amount of salt, so dont add any free salt to the recipe! and dont use expensive wine in the cooking, just a splash of the good stuff at the end.

Or if you are feeling flush and can get hold of dried morel mushorrms, this is fantastic. My choice to drink would be a Pinot Gris, Alsace of course with spaetzle.

5 Likes

We had that last night! Went really well with Chinese pork fillet:

Having followed the recipe last night, I’d dial up the honey a little bit next time. Could probably do with a bit of ginger in there, and a little bit of fresh chilli wouldn’t go amiss either :smiley:

4 Likes

Alsace wine is very food friendly.

Try Gewurz with tandoori chicken, or a washed rind cheese (Munster is classic match, but the rest work too). Or indeed most cheese.

The Zind Humbrecht Riesling is quite a powerful dry wine, whilst the Domaine Weinbach is more restrained, probably more fruit but also very dry. I would go for something like a meaty fish or chicken with the former, and maybe something lighter, white crab meat for instance with the latter.

Pinot Gris depends a lot on the style. It works well with things like goose and turkey, terrines and also some oriental food depending on the style and sweetness. It will work with game or cheese too.

Overall, I tend to think of many of the richer Alsace wines as autumn or winter wines, for that kind of food. The 2010 vintage is such that they will happily wait a few months…

7 Likes

To contradict @suiko a little (a risk I’m willing to take :grinning:) - for me the solid full-flavoured Alsace whites are all about food.

For me, they are some of the best matches to pork (especially PG and Gewurz)- roasted, stuffed with apricots or prunes, grilled pork chops - whatever, really - a match made in heaven. Not to mention chicken - in cream with tarragon (Riesling, PG), pot roasted with mushrooms a la @robertd’s fab recipe, Coq au Riesling (erm… Riesling)… For veggie meals they work beautifully with onion tarts (love PG with it), quiches and veggie stir fry. Riesling is awesome with pan-fried meaty fish, with lobster risotto, with Chinese baked whole fish… Not to mention classic roast of goose and dumplings (PG, Riesling, even had it with Gewurz)… I think the notion that Alsace wines only suit Asian cuisine is a myth. Eat what the locals eat with it.

Sorry! Gushing over :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Nailed it there. Alsace wines match food better than just about any I know. Very versatile.

I again await the arrival of @robertd to give an even more comprehensive view of food matching, that’s if he has picked himself off the floor after reading that Alsace wines don’t go well with food…

2 Likes

Btw, if you need a proof that this is food/wine heaven on earth, just look at the amount of Michelin star restaurants in Alsace… More than anywhere else in France, I believe…?

1 Like

Absolutely, and I never feel like drinking them on their own, it’s just which food I stuggle with, probably because I mostly drink reds, and my whites are often either for aperitifs or a rich chardonnay/rhone with roast chicken.

Thanks for the helpful pointers!

1 Like

I’m not sure anyone said that?

Well I think that @Inbar and I both thought that @suiko said that in first response to you?

One issue can be that the styles can be very different, particularly Gewurz and Pinot Gris. I’m not meaning vendange tardive either. TWS sweetness guide doesn’t really capture it in my view. You get to know producer styles over time too, which matter more than vintages in many cases. I can understand why that can make it challenging to know what goes with what.

They probably all go with avocado and prawns though… :rofl:

3 Likes

Ah, I read that as an agreement with me in never knowing what to pair, but I’ll leave it to him to confirm!

2 Likes

Make yourself the nicest Chicken tagine you can and enjoy…! :+1:

2 Likes

Maybe it was, in which case our comments will hopefully assist. You only learn by trying…

Too busy for a full reply right now, but will be along later :wink: In the meantime, I agree with everything that @Inbar and @MarkC said!

1 Like

Wow, an impressive array of ideas! All Inbar’s sound great, but I don’t really eat pork much and don’t often cook with cream either. So probably the well-worn Asian route is going to be best for me… but yes, the chicken tajine sounds a good idea!

1 Like

Yep, you got it!I certainly didn’t say they don’t match - just that I find it difficult, given my diet!

3 Likes

Crabmeat, lime and a little chilli goes wonderfully well with the Weinbach Riesling.

2 Likes