01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Fontodi Event

6:00 pm
Zoom or YouTube :dragon:

Dangerous to watch this while sipping the amazing 2016 and an iphone in one hand…

I justify it to myself on the basis that if there is one producer’s wines that deserve a complete vertical, it’s Fontodi.

3 Likes

Whilst watching, some Rhones have been added!! :+1: :dragon:

3 Likes

Hah! None of us are safe!

2 Likes

Eye on the ball, Sir!! :rofl: :+1: :dragon:

1 Like

The 2017 was given 95 points by wine enthusiast
I wonder what to do …

3 Likes

Buy a sub to Vinous or The Advocate or both, & voila!!
Compare to scores from 2013, 2015 & 2016.
Is the Wine Enthusiast a top quality reviewing site?
Do they tend to over/under score wines?
Are their scores used by the Top Merchants, if not - why not??
Easy, really!! :+1: :dragon:

I feel I can offer truly balanced advice. Buy a case, and also a case of the Filetta and the Vigna del Sorbo.

That’s what I’ve just done anyway…

7 Likes

Have you tasted the Filetta? :+1: :dragon:

2016, yes. Gorgeous and very different to the Fontodi CC. Very floral.

You?

Not to my taste.
Sarah waxed lyrical.
Maybe a bad or flawed bottle.
BTW, loved Fontodi’s 2013 & 2016 c/c. :+1:
& BTW2, sent both Burlotto cheapies back to Stevenage.
It has to be said that I have a hair trigger finger but don’t take prisoners!! :dragon:

1 Like

I can well understand that; the Filetta strikes me as a more ‘marmite’ wine than the Fontodi. You have to like the more acidic, bitter end of the chianti spectrum (which I do) to enjoy it, I think. Great with comfort food of course.

3 Likes

A highly informative presentation. :+1: :dragon:

3 Likes

In case it helps, it seems Galloni at Vinous gave it 94. Walter S on Jancis gave it 17.5/20 - a strong score from him.

2 Likes

I will move a case into reserves for good measure

2 Likes

I really enjoyed the enthralling presentation. Regarding the Fontodi CC, I thought it spoke volumes when Giovanni mentioned, that such is his commitment to it, that grapes that might otherwise end up in their Vigna del Sorbo are used to maintain its quality and consistency, year in year out. I have to say that ethos shines through, in that wine, no matter what the vintage.

6 Likes

Argh I forgot! YouTube it is then

1 Like

Very enjoyable presentation. Some Fontodi winging its way to me now and will visit the vineyard when in the area next year. Roll-on. Amazing how Sangiovese produces such a wide variety of fab wine in areas within an hours drive of each other.

2 Likes

Dammit. Having just finished off a case of 2010s I now want a case of 2017 :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes