01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Flattening TWS boxes - a plea to TWS

Since TWS are no longer taking back their sturdy boxes I’ve been struggling to flatten them for recycling collection.

I’d appreciate a TWS video showing the easiest way to return a TWS wine box to a flat state.

5 Likes

So have I. :frowning:

They are a bit tricky to take apart but at least that makes them nice and sturdy. I pull out the two dividers that are a quarter and three quarters way along the box - these are not fixed in. I then flip the box upside down and pull the two base pieces of cardboard which pulls the dividers through. This then allows the box to be folded flat.

Unfortunately I don’t have a box at home to video the process but once you try it out should make sense.

5 Likes

Yeah, I think that’s more or less what I do.

Obviously it’s been such a long time since I saw a TWS box, it’s a dim and distant memory. However, I think there are two small tabs in the centre-bottom of each of the long edges of the box that you have to fold inwards. This makes pulling out the two base pieces that fold up to be dividers much easier. As luck may have it, I’m expecting a delivery today. As long as Mrs B hasn’t trampled it after guzzling the contents, I’ll try and post a picture illustrating what I mean.

8 Likes

Same as above for me. Cut the tape at the bottom, pull dividers, fold in a logical manner.

1 Like

Okay, so I guess I’m just not the subtle type. I lay it on its side on the floor and, stabilising myself with the wheelie bin jump up and down on it a few times. might not look pretty but it’s flat and goes in the recycle bin just fine! :rofl:

8 Likes

You’re not alone in using this method.

2 Likes

Or there are other things you can do… :rofl:

11 Likes

Yes, that’s the first step. Here are the tabs at the bottom of the box when fully-assembled

If you push them into the sides of the box, sliding the dividers / base of box out is easy

2 Likes

I just hack at them with a bread knife. They’re usually gone in seconds!

2 Likes

Yes, this also happens in our house if I neglect the recycling

1 Like

First world problem.

1 Like

Can’t believe this is a thing. Use a Stanley knife!

8 Likes

I’ve laughed out loud :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

I’m keeping mine in case of nuclear attack. Probably the only thing that’ll protect you.

4 Likes