01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

First live concert

music

(Musical) Thought for the day:

A “friend” pointed out this morning that songs like Queen’s “Another One Bites the Dust” (she mentioned Talking Heads’ Once in a Lifetime) which was a hit in 1980, were released CLOSER TO WW2 THAN THEY WERE TO US TODAY.

Good to see one of my all time favs, Talking Heads mentioned.

Also one of my favourites - been listening to Remain In Light this evening.
Probably the one group I wished I had seen live but unfortunately the closest I have got to seeing them is having The Stop Making Sense DVD.
Possibly a new thread - groups you wished you’d been able to see live…

Life during wartime is terrific…I watch and listen to the YouTube version two or three times a week…

Same as it ever was …

Big Country, Guildford Civic Hall, 1986. I saw them a number of times, fantastic live. Always thought they deserved to be bigger than they were, the late Stuart Adamson had such charisma and talent, sorely missed.

Oh, I envy you for seeing them! I was totally besotted by Stuart Adamson as a 12-13 year old, and loved their music, and the unique sound he was able to produce with his guitar… Apparently he hated it being compared to the sound of a bagpipe, but it definitely had a peculiarly Scottish sound. He died in such tragic circumstances… It broke my heart when I read his obituary :sleepy:
I can imagine they were wonderful live!

Yes, I was very lucky! I managed to get to the front and even shook his hand, such a modest, self effacing, talented man. His death shocked me, I didn’t know he had alcohol problems, he was sober for ten years, until he started drinking again and then hanged himself. I did see Big Country after his death, with Mike Peters singing( The Alarm) but it just wasn’t the same without Stuart. Such a tragic waste…he was one of my idols growing up. I still listen to their music, and it still has the same magic for me.

Indeed. I saw U2 on their War tour at Hammersmith Palais in 1983 supported by The Alarm and the brilliant Big Country. Mike Peters and Stuart Adamson joined U2 onstage for a rousing version of Knocking On Heaven’s Door. Great night: I drank my first pint of cider and managed to get off with a very open-minded girl from Hartlepool. Happy days.

Sounds like a summary of Cider with Rosie.:wink:

Sounds like a summary of Cider with Rosie.:wink:
[/quote]

…‘Never to be forgotten, that first long secret drink of golden fire, juice of those valleys and of that time, wine of wild orchards, of russet summer, of plump red apples, and Rosie’s burning cheeks. Never to be forgotten, or ever tasted again…’

I LOVE Laurie Lee

Absolutely! And I think Cider with Rosie is one of the lovliest paeans to the English countryside, warts and all! :+1:

No 'tis Sir Mick of Green.
Saw them in their rediscovery period late 70’s at Bath University

The first to master the play-lead-and-rhythm-at-the-same-time technique.
As also practiced by Wilko Johnson (out of Dr Feelgood).

Or the beginning of a trad folk song adapted by Fred Wedlock.

The first one, by proxy by my mate Dai:

Earls Court 1969
Santana supported by Elton John
Ten bob to stand at the back!

Hammersmith Odeon 1975
Santana, Earth, Wind & Fire (rotating drum kit)

Earls Court 1978
Bob Dylan

St James Park, Newcastle
Bob Dylan, Santana, Lindisfarne

Wow, first live concert!

Well I have to throw in this one: not really a concert and I have no idea who was playing but in 1972 at age 15 I snuck into the Cavern in Liverpool. This was about a year before they had to move to a new site.

First real concert was ELP in the Top Rank Liverpool (around the same time) and next one was Santana at the Gaumont theatre in Southampton.

somethings are better left unsaid :wink:

but hangin {tough} there

I was there, but in 1984 :wink:
The Boss played the next year :guitar:

Nostell priory
Marillion supported by Phil Lynott’s Grand Slam (amongst others)

I was 15 so if anyone remembers the press coverage surrounding this it was a real eye opener… And I know there’s a lot of love for Hogarth era Marillion on the community but for me it’ll always be Fish :slight_smile:
Have good days and weekends everyone, stay safe.

Fugazi tour then…? There are some belters on that album :+1: